Dark Heart

Waking up I rub my eyes and stretch out my back. I sit up and see that I'm no longer up by the bookshelf or in my bedroom for that matter. I notice that I'm wearing a white tank top and grey sweats, looking at my left arm I see an IV. I follow it up to a water bag nearly empty. Looking around the room I figure out that I'm in the little medical center of the Annex.

The door opens and I see Ezekiel walk in carrying a water bag. He uses on hand to rub his head then looks up to see that I'm awake.

"Delany!" He says and rushes over. He wraps his arms around my torso and I reluctantly wrap mine around his neck. "You're awake."

"Yeah, I am." He pulls away and starts to change out the water bags. "And I'd like to know why I'm in the medical center?"

"When I went upstairs to check on you the day we stopped le Fay, I tried to wake you up but you wouldn't." He starts then sits down after he finished changing the drip. "I immediately called for Jenkins and we brought you here. Cassandra and Baird changed your clothes and Jenkins started his testing. When he finally come to a conclusion that you were put into a magically induced coma."

He grabs my hand and squeezes. "We were so scared. I'm just glad you're better."

"How long was I out?" I ask.

"2 months," he says after taking a deep breath. My eyes widen and I look at him trying to figure out if he's joking or not. Then a smile creeps onto his face and I know he is. I hit his arm with what little strength I have and he chuckles. "I'm kidding. You were only out for a week."

I smile and lean back. How could this have happened?

*~*

About an hour later Jenkins finished testing me and said I was cleared to go do whatever librarians do, but to keep it easy if any cases come by.

I go back to my room and take a shower. Then I change into a pair of jeans with holes in the knees, an oversized T-shirt tucked in and my pair of moccasins. I leave my hair down and only put on some mascara to look somewhat like a human.

I walk back into the main area and Cassandra immediately runs up to me and gives me a hug. I hug her back then do side hugs for Baird and Jacob. They weren't really the touchy feely type of people.

I take a seat near the far end of the table and start to map out the ley lines. After highlighting a few I throw up the globe and see one not quite right.

"Jenkins," I call out and arrives by my side. "This line here in Slovakia, it looks... broken."

He looks up at it and nods his head. He starts rummaging through a bunch of papers then sets up the back door mumbling about how we needed to go fix it right away.

He gives Jacob a bunch of technical equipment and explains that we need to fix the ley lines quickly. The others get their coats.

"Just let me get my coat and shoes on and I'll be right behind you," I start to head back to the room when I hear Baird say something.

"Delany we think it'll be best if you sit this one out." She says.

"Why? I'm a librarian, it's my job." I protest.

"Delany you just woke up from a magically induced coma!" Cassandra says.

"We don't want you to get hurt being exposed to so much magic again." Ezekiel says.

"Okay," I say and sit back down. "I'll stay here." I watch as they all go through Ezekiel being last. The door closes and I'm left alone with Jenkins.

"It's for the best Delany," Jenkins says breaking the silence.

"I know," I say and grab my maps. I head upstairs and sit down surrounded by books and maps and parchment.

A silent tear rolls down my cheek as my brain continues to tell me about how useless I am in this situation. Quickly wiping it away, I return to locating the strongest points on the ley lines and connecting them to Mythology stories.

*~*

It's only been an hour when Baird called and said they found a girl. She starts rambling about a house and how it was right where the ley lines would be.

I then get on the line and tell them that the magic will be wild so they needed to secure them quickly. The lines goes dead and I sigh. I head back upstairs and continue with my mapping.

A few hours later Jenkins comes upstairs and hands me a cup of tea I thank him.

"The others secured the lines and hopefully they can figure out what's going on with the house and fix it. But until then you can continue with your work and do whatever." He leaves and I take a sip of tea. Chamomile, yum!

*~*

"Jenkins it's been 3 hours!" I yell and walk down stairs. "It should not have taken this long to fix a haunted house."

"Just give them another hour. Maybe it's not what we thought and they are fixing it right now. You have to let them do their job. Their good librarians Delany, just give them time." He says and it just brings my mood down.

"I'm a librarian," I whisper so he can't hear and head back upstairs. I take my phone out of my pocket and go through the contacts. I sit down and stare at Ezekiel's name.

Should I call them? What if something happened and they are hoping I come for them? De you're overreacting.

I turn off my phone and look back through all the books and parchment. I need to calm down and my work will help with that.

*~*

I didn't even know I feel asleep until I'm awoken by the phone ringing. I stand up and leap down the stairs and answer it. Jenkins was nowhere in sight so I took over.

"Hello?" I ask hoping it's them

"Delany, how are you?" Baird's voice echoes through the phone. I smile knowing they're alright.

"God I've been worried sick about all of you! When are you coming back?" I ask.

"Give us ten minutes and we'll be there." She says.

"Okay see you in 10." I say and we hang up.

10 minutes later the back door opens and pour through. Baird has a black eye, Cassandra is carrying a little house, and the boys look fine.

I run up to them and embrace them in a group hug. I then pull away and hit them all on the arms.

"You scared the dickens out of me!" I shout. "But I'm glad you're all alright."

"Love you too Delany," Ezekiel jokes and I hit him again.

We sit at the table and they explain what happened. How the girl was the dark heart of the house and how they started to get kidnapped themselves, it was a haunting story. Jenkins then explains about how Katie's whole family was actually murders and she was the only one that figured out about the house, it basically gave her eternal life until Cassandra saved everyone.

I walk back upstairs to gather my things when Ezekiel joins me. As we gather the papers and put away books he talks.

"So for a second when I was the first one trapped in the dollhouse, I thought I wasn't going to make it out." He says and rolls up a few of the maps. "And I kept thinking in the back of my mind how we just left you here. Then Stone came, then Colonel Baird and I was certain Cassandra would be next and then we would have left you all alone here with Jenkins and Flynn."

I sit down next to him.

"Then I thought about if the roles were reversed, and I was stuck here alone without any help. I just couldn't think of something like that. I couldn't think of a life as a librarian without you or the others." He laughs a little. "So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm glad you're in my life now. And I really really don't want to lose you."

"Well this is the most emotional you've ever been," I giggle. "But I'm really glad I have you too." I nudge his shoulder and we stand up. He carries the maps while I carry a few books that are supposed to be down stairs and my mug.

After putting everything away we all get ready for bed. I tell Cassandra goodnight and turn off the light.