21. Blame Game

I didn't have to ask why Isaac was suddenly on my side because I knew; he was shown his true self by the nogitsune just like how he had shown me. I could feel it. It was like something about us was connected in a way that I wouldn't ever really understand, but all that mattered was that we were on the same page:

Kill Lydia Martin.

That was our only goal for the moment, and everything so far was going our way. Nothing would stand in my way now...I had to do this, for Stiles. I just couldn't understand why the others weren't on board with the same plan. Stiles was their friend too. Shouldn't they be willing to sacrifice a life for his? The nogitsune will show them the truth soon enough...he had to.

"Do you know what room number she's in?" Isaac asks me as we step into the hospital, hearing the occasional hospital talk and smelling that stale cleanliness.

My eyes catch Melissa. "No, but I'm about to find out."

I walk ahead of Isaac as I lean up against the counter Melissa was standing behind, tapping away on the computer before looking up at me. Her eyebrow raises slightly, shocked to see us here. "What are you two doing here? I thought you were supposed to be at school-"

"We wanted to see Lydia," I say simply, technically not lying. For a moment, I wondered if Scott had told his mom about me putting her here in the first place, but it appeared to me that she didn't have that info...yet. "What room number is she in?"

Her eyes flick between the two of us for a moment. "I mean, not to be rude at all, but where's everyone else? I didn't know you and Isaac were that close of uh, friends."

Isaac and I look at one another, not really sure what to say to that. He speaks before I can. "They're on their way. We got here first surprisingly."

She nods her head stiffly, sensing that something was off, but not sure. "Ah, okay. Lydia is in room...215, second floor."

"Thanks," I force a smile on my face turning and heading towards the elevator as Isaac follows behind me. I feel Melissa's eyes on my back as we walk away, but I didn't care much about it. Isaac and I were so close now...and not even someone like Melissa could stop us. I mean, come on. I doubt a human like her could take on a werewolf and a seer by herself.

A couple steps out of the elevator before Isaac and I step inside, reaching out and pressing the second floor button. We stand in silence as the doors slowly shut, Melissa making weird eye contact with me one last time. Something in me told me that she knew something was wrong, to be worried about it, but something else told me to keep moving forward with the plan, so I did.

"So, why do you want her dead?" I say, trying to make some type of conversation.

Isaac raises an eyebrow. "Why do you?"

"He told me he'd give Stiles back if I killed her," I breathe, looking up at the number changing for the floors. "Eliminate her from the picture."

Isaac nods before shrugging. "I don't really have a specific reason; I just thought she was always annoying."

I snicker. "How?"

"I asked her out on a date once," he fades out as the doors start to open. "Not only did she tell me no, but she also gave me her number."

I turn and look at him. "What's wrong with getting her number?"

He turns and faces me, giving me a bitchy face. "She needed a dog sitter, and she thought I was qualified for the job because I 'was never busy on the weekends anyways'."

"Damn," I breathe before stepping out of the elevator, walking down the long hallway. As I pass a couple of doors, I glance at their numbers and find that they were only 203 and 205. It doesn't take us long to reach room 215, finding her door wide open as she lay there in the hospital bed, fast asleep.