⚙4: Of Magical Mayhem and A Marvelous Menagerie⚙

"Now here's the plan..." 

Felix's words ring in my head as I work as quickly as possible. Ripping up that dress turns out not to be pure spite. Though some of the pieces are a bit dirty, tying them all together creates a tenuous rope just about the length of the tower. If all goes according to plan, I shouldn't need it, but if things don't? Best to be prepared.

Meeting with Felix lit a fire under me, and more than ever the answer is clear. I have to get out of here, and he's coming with me. 

Where to? Well, I haven't worked that part out yet.

It's strange to have a friend. For the first time, I have someone that understands me. Pay no mind to the fact his presence does all sorts of other baffling things to my body and mind. If I have a bit of a crush, so be it. My successful escape requires his trust.

Arabella rubs against my legs as I make the last few knots in the fabric. My heart swells with pride and sadness as I look down at her. I wish I could bring them all along. They've been like family to me. The only family I ever had, really.

"Sing me a song," I say, and she sways back and forth with a lilting tune. I leave out the part: for the last time. The sound is sweet, if a little sad. Just like my bittersweet escape plans. But I can't let feelings get the best of me now. Not when everything is riding on this.

Leonardo, the twelfth and final automaton in the Menagerie Project, sits before me. I take in a breath as I admire his beauty. I made this. Raw materials, sweat, and hard work came together to create this fantastic beast. A miniature stag, it trots along the tabletop, staring up at me with glittering black eyes.

"I'm sorry," I whisper. "I have to do this."

My hand stays steady as I work the scalpel between the stag's ribs. "I'm sorry," I say again, scoring one of the sensors within. It's not enough to break it. Not yet. But with enough force...

"Alessandra!" The voice jolts me from my reverie. She's late.

I swallow the mounting dread as I rush around the room, gathering each of my creations in turn. I completed all the upgrades, just in time. If she wants the Menagerie, she can have them.

"Alessandra! I know you're up there, answer me!" Her nagging voice carries over the sound of the key and I lunge over to the wall to flip the lever.

Here goes nothing.

Lady Elise storms into the tower, looking more imposing than ever. A cape of black feathers drapes around her shoulders, making her look even more like a bird of prey. After today, she won't be preying on me anymore. Either that, or...

I can't think about the alternative right now. 

"Good morning, my lady." My knees complain as I give my best impression of a curtsy and smile up at her. If this is going to work, I can't antagonize her. Not today.

"Good morning, Alessandra," she waves me away, already pushing past me to my workbench. "Where are they? Are they ready?" Her eyes gleam with a greedy delight.

"I think you'll find them quite satisfactory."

I hold my breath, praying the sensors don't break early. Please don't let them break early.