Chapter Two

My mum was a ballerina.

  "A darn good one." My dad used to say when he used to come for my recitals.

  They met at a pub in Manchester. My dad was heartbroken since he was about to get a divorce from his wife;my adopted mother Sally,and mum was just having a girls night out with her friends.

   Both drunk,they had a one night stand and Boom! Along came me.

    My Mum loved my dad but unfortunately he loved Sally,who decided not to get a divorce since Adam was also on the way.

      Yeah,my dad was a very potent man.

     Things became bad for my mum afterwards. She was heartbroken and pregnant, so she quit her career as a prima ballerina and had me. Dad was very supportive but she wanted more,she wanted him.

     That was a very bad obsession, coupled with her longing for me to become famous like she was when I decided to take up ballet. She hated it when it became obvious that I inherited my dad's genes;his hazel eyes,brown hair and curves from his mum.

     And that's when the hurtful insults and ridiculing begun.

      From my own mother.

       "Yo!"

        I blinked and realized that I had instinctively walked to the part of the hallway where I waited for my best friend,Nesta Williams.

         "I saw you through the window," she took off her cap and run a hand through her lush,black hair,removing her hair tie. "Was she being a bitch again?"

        "Nesta!" I hissed,pulling her through the semi-empty hallway. "That's my instructor!"

         She shrugged "and this is a free country."

         I rolled my eyes at her and looked at her enviously as she dug out a mars bar from the pocket of her sweatpants and started to devour it.

         Coming from a mixed family -half Jamaican,half Italian - Nesta was incredibly pretty with caramel coloured skin,insanely curly black hair and a tall athletic figure from being on both silver brook's track and softball team.

          If only I had her figure...

          "So?" Nesta prompted as we walked towards her car.

          "No." I remembered her question. "Other than calling me a fat cow with big utters,no."

           "A fat cow huh?That's interesting. I wonder what she thinks about the other ninety percent of girls walking about the halls?" She unlocked her Honda civic "you're one of the skinniest girls I know,you're a size six. Heck we wear the same jeans size,so calling yourself fat is calling me fat and that's ridiculous!"

        But all the girls in my dance class were a size zero even Mme. Celeste was a size zero. And Nesta's butt never looked big in her jeans like mine did.

        I raised an eyebrow at her as I brushed my hands down my sides,cupping my hips. "Other ninety percent? No. If you aren't in dance... You don't exist!"

       "Well shit,why don't you just write nesta you're irrelevant on a brick and aim it at my head?" She got in and buckled up as I laughed at her.

        "We're not the same shirt size." I  mumbled into the silence as Nesta drove.

         Nesta sighed. "Your boobs are amazing. I can't believe I'm saying this though I'm straight. Your boobs are beautiful, so cherish them. Mine are practically non -existent!"