The Girl That Read

• Dedicated to Nick Masi

Journal Entry:

10th August 1990

I watched from behind the one-way glass as Anna sat opposite Jemma. Child protective services had picked her up after an 'anonymous' call was made to her home. Me, of course. Her father had touched her again. He was handcuffed in the next room.

"Are you sure Jemma? He told you to do that?" Anna asked her gently. Jemma was colouring in her Tinkerbell colouring book. She was quiet a little while as she stayed concentrated on staying in between the lines. It was like she never heard the question. “Jemma?” Anna said again softly.

“Daddy says he loves me, that’s why he does it,” and I shuddered as I wrapped my arms around myself as the visual passed through me. Her beautiful, innocent voice sounded more shaken. I woke up every morning believing that I was one the happiest people alive, but I detested any being that would do such disgusting things to babies.

“What does he do Jemma?” Anna was always so patient with them. Something I was learning from her, but being thirteen years old, I don’t even think I have the slightest idea of what it involves. After another short break in conversation, Jemma hesitantly said certain things that I don’t wish to repeat about what her father did. All you need to know is that I’m sure it would damage her for life. Even with someone like Anna close to her, scars like those seldom heal. They just close. As young as I am, I’ve seen it over and over.

 I heard all I needed to, so I sat down next to the officer that was in the viewing room with me. “I don’t know how you do it, but you sure have a knack for saving lives,” he said, still focused on the two at the other end of the glass. I glanced at him in surprise. I’ve never met him before.

“You know me?” I asked, not knowing what else to say.

His head turned to me; the look on his face was that of one who was grateful, “New York’s a big city, but kids with hearts like yours.” He shook his head and averted his attention back to in front of him, “We could do with a lot more.”

My eyes teared up at the compliment. He hadn’t quite said it, but it felt great to be appreciated.

We walked out into the hallway, joining Anna and Jemma after they were done. At that very moment, Jemma’s father came out with two officers restraining him as he screamed obscenities. Jemma clutched Anna tightly and rested her head on her shoulder looking away from him. Her father and I met each others’ eyes. “What YOU looking at nigger!!!!!!” and my jaw dropped in shock. The officer who was in the viewing room with me casually took two steps up to him, sized him up, and slammed a punch straight into his lip.

“Get this pedophile outa here!” he ordered the others. As they dragged him off, he turned back to me and said, “Officer Cummings, at your service ma’am.” And I was flush with flattery. “You ladies have a ride home?”

“We’re good, thank you officer,” Anna said, and he walked off proudly. I couldn’t help but watch. “He’s too old for you, Asha. “

I turned to her, trying to show an expression of disgust at the thought of her thinking something as ridiculous as me being interested in a guy, but I failed miserably. Instead I just dropped my head in embarrassment, and shuffled around like the little girl that I am. She smiled and changed the subject, “Let’s go. You ready Jemma?”and she nodded enthusiastically. Anna set her down on her feet and we both walked either side of her holding her hands. As I touched her, I heard her inner voice chanting, “Yay, daddy’s gone,” and I smiled.

It was a long drive back from protective services to Anna’s children’s home where I volunteered. Jemma had fallen asleep five minutes after she got in the back seat. “So, that would make it twenty four now, am I right?” Anna said thoughtfully, counting the number of children we’ve saved in this year alone.