1.2

Henry

He sat against the base of a tree, his legs spread out in front of him.

He watched as the autumn leaves fell from the sky, landing on and all around his body. They seemed so carefree, so peaceful. He hated them.

His face still stung from the tears that had fallen down it, his eyes sore and tired. All he wanted to do was scream, or fall asleep, but his body was too weak to do either. So he just sat there.

He didn't know how late it was, and truthfully, he didn't care. He just wanted to forget everything. Forget his feelings, forget that night, forget that he had ever become Kid Danger. He just wanted to start over.

It hurt knowing none of that was possible.

Before long, he heard footsteps from behind him, the leaves crunching underneath their feet. He didn't turn his head to see who it was.

Instead he closed his eyes. He didn't open them again until a voice called his name.

"Henry"

It was a woman. Not a voice that registered in his head. So he opened his eyes. It was Rachael, Ray's sister. Probably sent to bring him back to the man cave.

"I'm not going back" he said, closing his eyes again. He hoped she would go away, leaving him to his sorrow.

"I don't want to bring you back, Henry. I want to talk to you."

He watched her as she sat down in front of him, the leaves crunching as she did. He wondered if she could tell that he had been crying.

"Are you okay Henry?" She asked him. He didn't know what lie to tell first.

"No" he answered, telling the first honest thing he had in a long time. "I am most definitely not okay."

He was heartbroken.

"Then you need to tell me what's been bothering you. Because from the sound of it, something has you really messed up. And I would like to know what it is."

He looked at her, unsure what to say. Here was this woman, one step away from being a complete stranger, asking him to pour his heart out to her. Was she crazy for asking, or was he crazy for considering it?

"I can't" he said, picking up a leaf at random, and picking pieces off of it, throwing them back to the ground.

"Why can't you?" She asked him. The poor leaf, it probably had a family.

"I can't tell anyone" he sighed.

"Henry you can't keep this to yourself. It's going to start eating away at your heart. It's not good to keep a secret for so long, especially one that is already affecting you."

"Then what do I do?" He yelled at her, not meaning to raise his voice. "My parents can't help me, my sister would just laugh, and Ray. Ray knows her."

He closed his eyes again.

"Knows her?" Rachael asked, "So this is about a girl?" Henry nodded.

"What girl Henry? You can tell me, okay? I don't know anything about your life. I have a completely unbiased perspective here, because I don't know anyone in your life. You can talk to me Henry."

He knew she was right. She hadn't known them enough yet to build up an opinion, so him telling her his feelings wouldn't cause any judgement.

Rachael was really the only person he could talk to about how he felt. He couldn't believe he was doing it, but he took a deep breath, and finally said the words aloud.

"It's Charlotte" he said to her.

"What about Charlotte?" Rachael asked him, her eyes wide with anticipation.

He opened his mouth to speak, and then closed it again. Was he really about to tell her the truth?

He was.

And his heart leaped with the words.

"I'm in love with her"