1.8

Henry

It was amazing how fast the mood changed in the man cave. When the note was presented, and they discovered that Gwen had taken Charlotte, everybody's sole mission was to bring her home.

They each had their own jobs, and his was to canvas the area with Ray. No matter how badly he wanted to be alone, he got into the mancopter dressed as Kid Danger.

They left Schwoz and Rachael in the main room, tracking Gwen and where she could have taken Charlotte.

Time was ticking away.

They flew above Swellview, looking out for any sign of strange behaviour below. They were looking for any sign that Gwen was near.

"How are you doing Kid?" Ray asked him as they were flying. "I know Rachael talked to you, but I wanted to hear for myself."

Henry felt empty.

"Not well" he said, keeping his eyes on the ground. "My best friend is missing and I don't know if she is okay or not. I feel numb."

He had never been so honest in front of Ray before.

"You know we're going to find her, right?" Ray asked him. "I won't stop until we have her and I know she is safe."

"Yea" Henry said.

He felt the sting of tears in his eyes again, but this time, he had a job to do. This time he couldn't cry.

"We need to get back to the man cave" he said to Ray, "I can't see anything from up here. We need to be back with Rachael and Schwoz."

Ray didn't say anything. He just nodded, and turned the copter around. They flew back to the roof of the man cave, and changed back into their normal clothes.

"What have you found?" Henry asked as they walked back into the man cave.

"Nothing yet" Rachael said, her sole attention on the monitors in front of her. "Schwoz is in the back looking something up. He might have a lead."

Henry felt his heart beat increase, even just a little bit. Any news at that point was good news.

Just then his phone vibrated in his pocket, catching him off guard. He pulled it out, and instantly felt light headed.

It was Charlotte's mother.

He took a deep breath, and swallowed the anxiety in his throat. Then he answered the phone.

"Hello?" He asked.

"Henry Hun, hi. It's Mrs. Bolton calling. How are you?"

"I'm okay, how are you?" He asked her back.

"Good thanks. Is Charlotte still at your house? I tried calling her cell but she didn't answer."

All Henry could hear was the boom, boom, boom of his heartbeat. He felt physically ill.

"She is, yes" he lied, "we are still studying actually. It could be a bit of a late night. Would it be okay with you if she just stayed here?"

He had to cover up Charlotte's disappearance somehow with her mother. How could he explain to her that her daughter had been kidnapped by a runaway criminal?

"I think so, yes. Tomorrow is the weekend, so there isn't anything for her to wake up for. Sure Henry, that sounds lovely. You will walk her home in the morning I'm assuming?"

"Of course I will." He said, each lie burning his throat as it came out. "We will see you tomorrow."

"Yes, I will see you both in the morning. Good night Henry. Tell my baby I love her."

When he hung up, he walked up to the wall, and laid his head against it. He felt horrible.

Why was it so easy to lie to someone, even if the lie was better than the truth?

Henry's heart felt heavy in his chest. How was it possible to be surrounded by people, and still feel all alone?

He was oblivious to the fact that in all the time he knew her, Charlotte had been the strings holding his heart together. Without her next to him, that security was ripped away, and his heart broke into pieces.

Charlotte was his entire life. And without her,

He

Was

Broken