Chapter 2

"Through all these years you've been my quiet salvation...Reflecting who I wanna be..."

Astrid

Right now we were walking through the forest ,sharing a protein bar to try fill the seemingly endless pits in our stomachs that seemed to be there most days now.

Our stomach were giving off noises so loud I was afraid it would attract corpses.

It had been 7 months since I found darling Sophia.She has been the sweetest little girl I have ever meet.
Also not that I'll admit it, but she can be really frightening and badass at times.

Winter had just passed.It was a  bitter, long ,cold winter.We had been stuck in the same small town for almost 4 months now.We had found this town just in time.

I'm not sure if we would have survived the cold winds which had already begun blowing,we would have probably frozen to death,with no extra clothes and starting a fire out in the open probably wouldn't have been an option.

Wouldn't want to attract them corpses or any other attention,now would we?

Especially the other humans.

I would say even with these corpses constantly trying to eat us,our biggest threats have been our fellow humans.

Corpses can't feel greed or desperosity like we do.They are empty mind-less creatures,hell bent on spreading the disease or feedin' on living creatures.

Us humans,do have a choice .We choose right from wrong,we choose whether it is okay to steal and murder and choose to take what others have just to further our own survival.

That's the  largest reason I chose to travel alone,  before Sophia  of course.

Anyways back to the point.

Food was getting scarce and a whole lot harder to find.

On the first night we cleared out a house.It had tall walls around it,made of cement and brick and just to our luck ,it had a basement in it. There was fresh water stored there,dozens and dozens of bottles,much to our surprise.

Which idiot decided to leave such a valuable resource  behind?

I was beyond surprised that nobody had found it yet.

Their loss.Our gain.

More for us.

Each day we would go out and clear as many houses as we could.It seemed that these people were very unlucky.

We found family after family.

Dead.

Some people had just ended themselves.Those who shot themselves lay lifeless in their untouched homes.Clever them.

Those who decided to hanging was a better option,snapped their jaws at us and desparetly swung at us all while the ropes dug further into their rotten necks.It was a grotesque sight,as slimy blood drooled onto the floor beneath them.

Apart from that,the houses we pretty untouched.
None of the houses had been  raided  and each time we cleared a new one we went through the cupboards as well.We founded a few things.

Once the houses had been cleared, we did the streets as well then gradually  began building a make shift fence.
Mainly just in case of any other groups came through they would think the town was full of corpses -walkers like Sophia  calls them.

We set blocks out in the streets .

Then when there was nothing else to do we trained.

I taught Sophia everything I knew.I made her practise killing walkers as well as endurance and strength .I watched as the sweat pour down her face, blood red -from the cold and the exsurshion ,watch over months of endless training as she changed.As she became strong.