Episode 14| Where Is My Mind?

Sophia's P.O.V.

I periodically glanced at a blotchy painting behind Bryce's head as he talked, drifting off to distract myself from thinking of the awkward situation I was in.

Boys didn't always like me, but whenever they did, I found a way to make a fool of myself. It was a tendency of mine that I couldn't kick.

Right now, in this very moment, for example. A normal girl would've done something seductive, like flip her hair or give a little wink when a guy like Bryce shows them a sliver of attention. I couldn't be a normal girl though. 

Oh, no.

While reaching over to rest my elbow on the bookshelf, the side of my overall shorts snagged a sharp corner, hooking the fabric and keeping me in place. I leaned forward once, and I internally yelled at the sound of fabric ripping. I was too afraid to look at the damage. Resting my elbow there made me think that my little "freak out" at seeing him would win me some cool points.

Chill out. Focus on something other than the clothes...focus on Bryce.

No wait! Don't focus on him.

I was ahead of myself on that one. I began pinpointing little things about him as he told me about a class he left. I didn't pay that much attention to the words that came out his mouth, as so much as how he said it.

He elongated certain words with his East Coast accent, the long vowels and over pronunciation on specific letters made me get lost in the sound. Just the sound. The rugged, velvety sound of his voice alone traveled through me like wine. I couldn't get enough of it. If getting intoxicated off a voice was possible, his voice would be one of them.

Soon enough, Bryce caught on to what I was doing. He blinked at me, biting the corner of his lip to stop the smile. "What is it? Is there something in my teeth?"

"No, no. That's not it." I boomed, moving closer to touch his arm. I snatched it back, not letting myself get too comfortable with him. "Sorry."

"You don't have to say sorry."

"I know—sorry." I shut my eyes, covering half of my face with my hand. "I'll stop talking now. Forget I ever existed."

Bryce laughed. His laugh sounded better with my eyes were closed, as strange and stupid as that might seem. It was the center of my attention, surrounding me in the darkness.

"You're such a weirdo, Sophia."

My hand fell from my face. I shrugged at his comment and suppressed a gasp at the tear I heard. I flattened a hand against the tear and mustered a small grin, praying that I could play this off.

"Thank you? I guess. I've been called worse. And usually not in English. You should really see my Tío on my moms side after he's had a few bottles. No one is safe because he suddenly thinks he's a stand-up comedian. I'm typically the butt-end of his jokes though."

"It's not an insult, Sophia," he stated. His lip returned tucked under his top row of teeth. I held my breath while he released his lower lip, slowly. "I like you being a weirdo...I like you."

I coughed, spit lodging my airway.

"Are you okay?" He reached for my wrist.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I was just choking on your bullshit." I cleared my throat. "I'm fine now though. I thought I was heading for the white light for a second, but now I've recovered."

He dropped my wrist, a puzzled look gracing his face. "I'm not kidding."

"Neither was I." I countered. "I'm also not that gullible."