Chapter Seven: The Castle on the Cliffs

‘One more big swell and the saltwater will be running over this lip and down your cave’s throat,’ said Accolon, who leant nonchalantly against the wall as he watched us struggle back into our clothes. His eyes lingered particularly on Bellina as she belted her bright blue dress round her slim waist and shrugged on a long white coat made of ermine fur. 

I helped Alisander and Aglinda with the laces of their boots as Agravaine fashioned a sling with which to fasten baby Christian to his broad chest.

A thin stream of seawater trickled into the cave. It hissed as it reached the fringe of the fire.

‘Hold the water back from the fire, Drift,’ said Epicene.

‘I-I-I-I-I-I c-can’t.’

She looked disappointed in me.

‘Are we all ready?’ said Mordred. He reached Accolon in three strides of his long legs. I hobbled along behind Aglinda and Alisander towards the open air. Only Bellina and Epicene were behind us, both of them gliding along as if they were competing for the eyes of a handsome knight. 

My left foot came into contact with the water that was now flowing in gulps into the cave, and all of a sudden my eyes and ears were ten steps ahead of my body – Mordred’s foot was also in the water, and I had made a thin connection with him. He had taken an instant dislike to the new boy. He had no memory of Accolon’s name or his face from the ship.

But for the moment there were more pressing concerns: we were at the edge of the swelling sea. Black water billowed in slow ripples, advancing on the mouth of the cave, eager to be swallowed down.

Mordred knew a decision had to be made quickly or it would be too late. He looked to the left, and saw that the cliffs to the north were smooth, as if they had been worked by a great stonemason who had sanded away all imperfections – and any possibility of climbing without hammers and spikes and rope. Mordred knew there was no point in going that way; we would never get above the waterline before we drowned.

He turned to the south, where the cliffs were more uneven, climbable. We might not reach the top of the cliffs, he thought, but at least we could get high enough to wait out the high tide – that was, if it wasn’t an enchanted tide of Merlin’s. Mordred’s mind briefly flashed on me – he wished I wasn’t so cowardly, and that I would use my water-magic to hold back the surge.

I took my foot out of the water to break the connection, saddened by Mordred’s opinion of me and feeling ashamed of myself.

‘This way, then,’ cried Mordred, scrambling up a large stone to the right of the cave mouth, towards the uneven cliffs.

‘I say, old chap; no, no,’ said Accolon.

‘We’ve got to get to higher ground,’ hissed Mordred.

‘Of course,’ said Accolon. ‘It’s just that, er, we could go and sit on a rock and wait out the tide. Of course we could. But there’s a perfectly good set of stairs up to the top the other way. I came across them earlier. A much easier climb, if I may say. Come on.’ And with a jaunty flick of the finger Accolon climbed up onto the large stone that blocked the way to the left.

I heard a small disdainful giggle from behind, and Bellina pushed past me. She glanced at Mordred, amused by the way Accolon had asserted his authority. Accolon lifted her onto the rock. The trim of her white furs just skimmed the oncoming waves. The two disappeared round the corner towards the smooth cliff.

Mordred scowled through the hair that hung over his face. ‘Go on then,’ he said to us angrily. ‘Follow him.’

The water was now up to the knees of the others. After what I heard in Mordred’s thoughts I had no desire to hear what anyone else thought of me, so I climbed up the dry cave wall. I handed Aglinda and Alisander out to Mordred, who lifted them over the rising water and onto the rock. When they disappeared after the others, he reached out to me.