Chapter Thirteen: The Shadow Path

We went back the beach way to fetch our boots, and rejoined the others. Once we had explained to Accolon that we had found a path that led into the forest, he insisted on cutting straight across the plain to see for himself. He hissed at the herd as we passed them, startling their foals, perhaps undoing the work Melwas had done to win their trust. The horses took their small revenge on the prince when Bellina stepped in a pile of manure, and spent the next five minutes alternately retching and sobbing into Accolon’s sleeve.

‘Yes, you’re right, I can see it,’ he said, when we reached the place just above the dunes.

Elia shook her head in irritation. ‘Aye, just like we told you. There was no need to check; we’re neither stupid nor blind.’ She was grumbling under her breath, but more than loudly enough for everyone to hear. The little musician knew how to use her voice.

Accolon ignored her, and strode off along the path towards the forest. ‘Come on then!’

Palomides didn’t move. ‘Are you sure this is wise, Prince Accolon? Perhaps just a few of us should explore; the rest can wait here for the others to return.’

‘Tush, man, tush,’ said Accolon. ‘Where there’s a path there’s often water, and we’ll all be very thirsty boys and girls if we don’t drink something soon.’

‘Drift could make water for us, could you not, Drift?’ said Palomina.

‘That’s disgusting,’ said Bellina. ‘I’m not drinking his water.’

‘It might be a bit, close to drinking his, ah –’

‘His piss!’ said Piers, cutting off Accolon. ‘Ha! Well, if Drift’s piss does as good a job of quenching my thirst as it did fixing my arm, I’d happily drink gallons of it.’ He thought about what he had said for a moment.

We all thought about what he had said for a moment.

‘I mean, that is – oh never mind,’ said the big farmer. He sighed. ‘Let’s go and find some water.’

Accolon jerked his thumb in the direction of the herd. ‘We should find whoever owns these too. I imagine those horses belong to the people at the end of this path. That would explain why they were so well behaved with the Gaulish girl, wouldn’t it? Wild horses, indeed!’ He shook his head, enjoying the opportunity to present Mordred’s fears as foolish, and Melwas’ skills as everyday. ‘And I think it would be better to explain to the horses’ owners why we borrowed some of their best animals, and do it before they come after us as thieves, don’t you?’

‘He has a point you know,’ said Piers. ‘I’m not saying that I’ve ever stolen a horse or anything, but I can tell you that being chased by a red-faced farmer with a pitchfork can be an, erm, exciting experience.’

Palomides seemed unconvinced, but after a glance at his sister he nodded curtly.

‘Very good!’ said Accolon. ‘On we go!’

‘What about the beast?’ said Alisander, whose feet were planted hard to the ground. ‘The beast is in the forest, isn’t it?’ The little boy was stiff with fear.

Accolon crouched down so that he was at Alisander’s eye level. ‘Come here, my lad.’

Alisander was unsure, but after further encouragement came shyly to Accolon’s outstretched hands.

‘Now, my boy, I’m not like Mordred, you know. I won’t let any monsters hurt anyone, I promise you. Do you understand? Look at me. Tell me you understand.’

Alisander looked into Accolon’s bulbous green eyes. ‘I understand,’ said the boy.

‘Good,’ said Accolon, beaming. ‘Now why don’t you walk with our big farmer friend, eh?’