Chapter One- Resurgence

Part One: Denial 

"But if you didn't believe in monsters

Then how were you going to be able to keep safe from them?"

― Holly Black, The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

Chapter One- Resurgence

Believer

1.      The one who believes that the hard times are over.

2.      Laurie fucking Cortez.

  Once upon a time, I was kidnapped by a vampire. He was a normal kind of vampire. A twisted kind of vampire. His name was Tyson, and my name was Laurie, and I was the one who convinced the Donors to escape from him.

  I was in Tyson's captivity for five-and-a-half months. Now, I've been out of his captivity for nearly a year. It's June now. I'm twenty years old now.

  When we first escaped from Tyson, we ended up in Vietnam. Then we went to Nam Ha's old doorstep, and found her sickly sister, Ngai. Ngai's been letting us stay at her house.

   We've told Ngai close to nothing. She believes that we got involved with human trafficking, or drug smuggling, or a gang. That's why she doesn't tell the police we're hiding in her house- she thinks that if she reveals us, we'll get in trouble.

    Since I had told Tyson to forget everything about the last night, the vampire has no recollection of anything. So if he hasn't reformed himself, and is determined to find us, he's been looking on the wrong continent.

  I've spent the past ten months running through North Vietnam. We're in a town I can't pronounce. I've been working, trying to learn Vietnamese, and running. Also, I can't tell you how many times I've gone to the internet to look up my parents and my family. I shouldn't miss them, but I do. The more I can't talk to them, the more it feels like a hole inside of me.

  I want so badly to contact my family, but I can't. It isn't safe. Tyson's seen my memories. He knows where my parents live. If I contacted my parents, he could potentially go to them, or have the Council go to them, and my parents could be tortured or Turned. They could potentially turn out to be Donors. And God knew what the possibilities were.

  So anyways, we were living in Nam Ha's sister's house. It was nice-ish.

  Ngai was a doctor. A surgeon, to be specific. She worked night shifts and weird hours and worked all year. She's told her friends that her new house-guests (us) were her cousins.

  Today was a special day. Today, we were going on a trip.

Ngai still had to work. She'd given Nam Ha, Aubrey and me the keys to her car and permission to rent a rural vacation house. Ngai had a lot of money, since she was a female surgeon.

  Thank God. I'd just gotten fired from yet another job at the mall, because I couldn't be a cashier without being fluent in Vietnamese. Meanwhile, Nam Ha was trying to get an online degree under a fake name, in nursing or something. And Aubrey, like always, was trying to homeschool herself. I don't know.

   Nam Ha had reconnected with her old grade-school boyfriend, Quang. So, of course, she invited him along. He had silver earrings and ice-blue eyes, and according to her, was the kindest person she'd ever met.

   None of us thought we'd run into Tyson.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, readers! Turn the page. The next chapter is the good part. ;)