Chapter 7: A Solemn Swear

Adrien's POV:

A comfortable silence layered the atmosphere , I felt her warm breath steaming on the crook of my neck ever so slightly. I hummed somewhat cheerfully to see the empty plate, acknowledging me that she had eaten up her breakfast I made especially just for her. I unconciously sighed out an exasperated sigh I've been holding in without taking notice. Marinette seemed awfully quiet, so I cautiously glanced at her to sneak a peek, and well, surprisingly sleeping in such a peculiar moment. I sweat-dropped and nudged her slightly, anticipating that somehow she'll arise from her slumber. I brazenly turned my body to face her and carried her bridal-style into her bedroom. I didn't really mind, if I recalled it was me who broke her heart. I gritted my teeth as that thought came across my mind. Recovering emotionally really his excruciatingly painful and aggravating. Luckily, the door was let opened thus I easily slipped in and placed her on the bed. As soon as her skin came in contact with the bed, she muffled out a comfortable sigh as she nuzzled into her pillow. I jerked my head, my tongue clicked. I pursed my lips inwards and licked my lips, curving my back outwards as though as I was under some pressure. In fact; I was in some sort of dilemma. Until suddenly I felt this sudden rush of electricity build within me and a somewhat feeling overwhelmed me, I laid my eyes on Marinette, who just happened to say my name in her sleep, her voice slightly trembling.

"Adrien...."

My eyes widen at her voice. I broadened my shoulders, my body stiffening as her voice started going shaky.

"C-chloe... Nggh, n-no.."

My expression became dull. She was the cause of all this havoc, the devastation she brought her and I into. I lowered my head, finding myself to bow at Marinette. I choked out a sob of guilt, "I-I so sorry, Marinette..." I felt my lips chapping and my throat drying up. Hesitantly, I stood straight to see a perfectly calm Marinette, sleeping peacefully. I softened my expression and whispered, "I hope you'll forgive me..."

I turned my back to face the opposite direction.

"....someday."

The silence took over, giving me some time to cool out. Frustrated, I ran my fingers into my hair and groaned in an agonizing way. And that's how Marinette woke up.

"Chat?" she said, yawning shortly after.

I plastered my face with a fake smile and faced her, covering my voice of distress with a cheery one and exclaimed, "Good morning, you fell asleep again."

She blinked in utter bafflement and said, "Oh." She was fazed. "Sorry!"

I chuckled, "It's alright. I'll be on my way, my shift's over. I came here to accompany you but you seemed tired. Ciao, Princess." I jokingly saluted, satisfied with her giggle that filled the air. I turned around and headed towards the balcony door. As soon I broke our gaze, my face darkened and etched with a look of despair. Plan's changed. After that nightmare I assumed she had, calling my name in a voice that sent goose-bumps, throbbed my heart.

A force pulled me back. Marinette held me tight from going away.

"Don't! You're the only one I rely on the most, and I am more than grateful to have you actually, stop by," she admitted.

If only you knew Marinette. Then, I would be the last person you'd rely on.

I widened my eyes, locking my gaze with her captivating ones. She flashed my a reassuring smile stopped my heart for just a second or two.

But I'm ready yet-

I flashed her back a smile.

-to tell her the truth.

A smile full of phony. But Marinette believed it.

She clasped her hands together and stated rather cheerfuly, "Well! Let's play video games, yeah? It'll calm me down from...." she shook her head but I knew what she meant, definitely.

"Yeah, let's," I said, pretending I hadn't heard the last part but she nodded and hasitly walked downstairs. I saw her figure slowly drifting away, and that's when I clenched my fists and bit my lip, quietly whimpering.

"I can't go on like this forever, it'll hurt even more, for the both of us," I muttered, yet also solemnly swore a swear that has engraved into my heart that I have got to tell her. Everything.

"Chat you coming? I found a game that I used to play with my friend and maybe you would like it," her voice chanted as I took in a deep breath.

"Yeah! I was just look at the scenery," I let the lies escape my lips. She told me that she's getting controllers and I replied her with a casual 'OK.' I looked up and shut my eyes close and scrunched up the bridge of my nose.

"I'm only making this harder by the second."

I walked downstairs greeted by Marinette who prepared the whole set-up perfectly with an adoring smile widening on her face, enthusiasm building up. She patted on the empty sit on the couch to signal for me to come and sit which I did obediently.

We started playing, like nothing ever happened in our lives.

She was real, lively, animated and merry.

I was simply masking myself ; like a fraud. 

But she caught my sudden attitude when I ever-so-slightly started blanking out more, drowning deep in my thoughts, and my facial expression going the slightest bit stoic. She quirked an eyebrow at me but I shrugged it off, drifting into a sea of thoughts where I encounter my insecurities and fears.

"Hey Chat, I won. Again," she said, her voice slowly trailing off.

I nodded and complimented on her victory with a 'good job' and set for another round. It's been roughly an hour and half as we played. We became less active by the minute until she snapped at me. 

"Hey, Chat, something the matter?" Her voice sounded the slightest bit infuriated.

"Headache...." I lied.

"O-Oh, I'm so sorry... You tried to have fun with me but,,, you're having a headache?"

Well I technically wasn't lying, I mean, I went slightly dizzy after thinking all those horrific thoughts. "Y-yeah, sorry...." I apologized,  a little dazed out.

"You can sleep in the couch, if anytime you have to transform back, I won't look, I promise. If you did, anything you need?" she asked worriedly, turning off the TV we've been playing video games in. I nodded my head, telling her I will need cheese, Camembert cheese specifically. She nodded understandingly and got me a glass of water to soothen myself up. I ended up sleeping on her couch as a real headache striked my head, the moment I became completely vulnerable.