Chapter 8: Settle In A Game of T.O.D

I woke up in a cold sweat as my lungs cramped, as though it were narrowed by two forces pressuring against it. My heart throbbed; my heart beat was the only sound I was able to hear as it resonated in my brain. I bit my lip as the feeling of overwhelm easily took control of my self-conciousness. I felt myself beginning to levitate, unable to stable my own balance as my sight went blurry. Reality was clashed with unreal, inanimate objects.

"Nggh, stop..." I pleadingly begged on my knees, not even remembering how I stood up. Cackling laughter and mutters disrupted my head. Then everything turned white as an image started appearing in front of me. A ghostly figure started taking shape of a girl, a girl approximately the same age as me, sobbing. Shivers ran down my spine. Her voice sounds awfully familiar.

Then it said my name.

"Why, Adrien?" her eyes were puffed up red.

".....Marinette?"

"Tell me, it's all a lie. You would never do that, would you?" she smiled, "Tell me, it's all a dream..." Her voice was taunting me. A lump formed in my throat, I was unable to speak. All I could say was,

"I didn't mean it!"

Just as I could hug her, she vanished in thin air, like she wasn't even there. Not even a trail of her remembrance was there. My heart skipped a beat. Where was she? I looked down, clenching my fists. Then I saw two feet in front of me, suddenly there. I looked up.

It was Chloe.

"W—Where's Marinette?"

She narrowed her eyes and looked at me apathetically. She licked her lips hungrily, just like how a wolf has finally spotted its exposed, unarmed prey. An aura started to emit from her. Everything seemed like it was started to get dimmer every second, and the darkness the engulfed the room made it clear that her eyes were glowing. Pure blood red eyes glimmered from the darkness, her eyes were glossed with an intention to kill, to slaughter, an intention that were meant for... me. Her devil-like eyes were fixated on me, a murderous smirk planted on her face. It seemed like her next move was going to be lethal and unpleasant. She cupped my cheeks in such a desirous way, my eyes widened as our gaze locked together. All I could do was breathe instensely as my system slowly broke down. She hollered, "I love listening to lies when I know the truth, Adrien. Inside, you never cared of her existence, isn't that right? That's the harsh truth sweetheart; you can't satisfy everyone in life. To go forward, you need to let go of some things. And sorry to break it to you, but Marinette is one of those despicable 'things' you have got to let go for the better good in life. But ... oh my, you've gotten much better at lying; telling me how much you need her, when actually you don't."

She ended her words as she released her touch from my face, standing up as I was still on my knees, frozen. My lips parted, I wanted to speak so bad... but I just couldn't say a word.

"If you want her, you would have wanted to stop that chaste kiss. You could have wanted to grab her by the wrist telling her it was a mistake, and that you love her and not me," she scoffed, "tell her that and commit another lie. You're the one pulling on the strings that manipulated Marinette's heart, you're the one who was to dull to realize anything. You just can't accept the truth you're the one causing all this, and yet you volunteered to fix it, only to make it worse. Hmm..."

She chuckled horrifically as she ended the sentence, she placed her hands on her hip, standing boldly, as I was like a prey, under the predator's shadow about to get eaten alive.

I buried my face into my hands, my tears bursted out. I screamed for her to stop but my voice wasn't coming out at all. I held my throat tightly, continuing to yell and tell her I don't want to hear it anymore. My stomach clutched as I dreadfully screamed to stop over and over, but at the end I said nothing.

She looked at me, amused rather than before. Instead, I just encouraged her to go on.

"How cute~ Marinette was always the one who loved the significant other more, you can't return that and... walked away. She felt so special you smiled to her like that, until she saw you do it to everyone else. You know it yourself; you're a fraud. She's far from your reach."

My breath hitched.

And I collasped.

~  ~  ~  ~   ~                       ~  ~  ~  ~   ~  ~  ~                         ~  ~   ~    ~    ~    ~                                   ~    ~    ~   ~     ~   

.

.

.

"--hat!"

"Chat!"

My eyes fluttered open as I looked around. Marinette was inches away from my face, I abruptly backed away, slightly flustered. "Nngggh..."

"W-what happened? You scared me to death..."

"I-I don't know."

A lie.

"You woke up, grunting. T-then... you dropped on your knees and... you couldn't really say anything. I approached you but... you looked... afraid... then you collasped."

Her face was like she was about to cry, extremely worried. I watched her cautiously and hugged her, wanting to feel her embrace. I didn't want her to dissapear, not again. I want to know that this is real and that none of this is fake. She gasped, I felt her lips curved into a smile; the feeling of relief took over and I sighed thankfully.

"I guess, I had an intense... dream."

She broke the hug, slowly releasing the grip as she sat down. I was standing up, but slightly bending my knees. I also sat down with her, my breathing easening. "....Sorry," I meekly apologized.

"Let's freshen up ourselves, whaddya say?" she asked cheerfully, she was looking at a certain something while asking, but as I trailed down to where she was looking at, she already whipped her head to find my gaze. She humbly waited for my response.

"Sure," I agreed, although I slightly hesitated.

"Hnnngh, everything's just peachy," she pouted playfully.

"Then, let's make it interesting, like... a game of truth or dare?" I suggested willingly, leaning closer as my ears were perked up for an answer.

"Truth or dare... Well let's see if a scaredy-cat in dares huh, Chat?" she teased, covering her mouth with her fingers and giggled.

I smirked, letting all my fears flow away. "Let's see about that."

And the games begin.