Chapter 1 - The Strange Letter

Beep, beep, beep, beep, my alarm clock goes annoyingly. I reach over and slap the snooze button, not wanting to get up.

"Wake up, Stace!" my brother Carson shouts at me. "Just five more minutes!" I beg him. I am not much of a morning person. "Nope, mum says you need to get up now! We need to go run some errands today, and she wants to get them done early!" God, I hate him sometimes, I think to myself. "Ugh, fine. Give me ten minutes to get ready," I tell him through the inch of wood that is my bedroom door.

I slide out of bed, the covers wrapped around me like a cocoon. I detangle my sheets from ten-year-old body. The morning light floods through my window, blinding me.

I walk over to my wardrobe to pick out my outfit. I select a pale gray short-sleeved t-shirt and distressed denim jeans. I pull the shirt over my head and tangle my hair even more. Sighing, I walk over to my dresser to brush my hair out.

By the time I am downstairs, everyone else is nearly done with their eggs and toast. Still rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I stumble over to my place at the kitchen table where my untouched plate is.

"Did you guys get the post yet?" I ask. "No, could you get it?" my mother asks me. "Sure," I answer. Getting up, I walk over to the front door and open it. A single owl flies in, holding a letter. How peculiar, I think. I thank the postmaster as I take the letters from his outstretched hand.

I walk over to the owl slowly, not wanting to frighten it. It sticks out its leg, apparently trying to hand it to me. I take the letter, opening the closed door again to let it out of the house again. However, it doesn't leave. It nods its head towards my letter. I get the message, walking down the hallway and opening the letter as I walk.

"What's that?" Carson asks me as I reenter the kitchen. "I dunno, I wish I knew," I replied as I pulled out the parchment inside. I read aloud,

"Dear Ms. Redmond, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September first. We await your owl by no later than July thirty-first. Yours sincerely, Minerva McGonagall, Deputy Headmistress."

I keep the supply list to myself, however, since the look on his face is incredulous. "You, a witch?" he asks. "Yeah, I guess so," I reply. "Well, we had better head out to wherever you purchase school supplies," my mother says. I had forgotten that she was still there. "Okay," I say.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sorry if this first chapter seemed a bit all over the place, it's currently pretty late and I don't have much time to edit. I hope that you guys enjoyed it, though.

Peace out,
Stephanie