Chapter 7 - Detective Work With Lily Evans

Two weeks after my first detention, I find myself wandering down the hall.  I walk outside to the large lake and sit down.

Remus was gone three days ago to who knows where.  The next day, I'd seen James, Sirius, Peter, and Remus exchanging looks every ten minutes.  I ponder where he might have gone, and what James, Sirius, and Peter knew.

"Oi!  Stace!" I hear a voice call out to me.  I lift my head and find myself face to face with Lily.

"Yeah?" I ask her curiously.  She sits down next to me and asks, "I was just wondering...  Do you know anything about where Remus went off to on Wednesday?"

"Sorry, no idea," I reply honestly.  "Why?"

"Oh, no reason, just curious," she tells me dismissively.  I shake my head and suggest we go to Hagrid's hut.

We find it easily enough.  It's the only hut on the grounds, so it's kind of hard to miss.

We knock on the door and hear a dog barking like mad at the door.  Hagrid opens the door and the dog jumps up on our knees.  I scratch it behind the ears and it licks my hand.

"Down, Fang!" Hagrid commands the dog.  Fang reluctantly leaves my side to retreat inside the house.  "Come in, come in," Hagrid invites us.

Walking inside the hut, we notice a large bed with a patchwork quilt in one area, a small kitchen in another, and a living room with a fireplace in the other section.  There is an umbrella stand next to the front door, and a pink umbrella hangs there.  A moleskin coat is laying on the bed, causing it to sag under the weight.  The couch is old and worn, the cushions in the same condition as the bed, although permanently so.

"Want a cup o' tea?" Hagrid asks us.  We nod and he strides over to a teakettle on  the stove.  He gestures for us to sit down and we comply.

Eventually, the awkward silence is ended by the screeching of the kettle.  Hagrid bustles over and picks it up, pouring some into the teacups in front of us.

"So, is there anything yeh wanted to ask me?" Hagrid asks us.  I look at Lily, who doesn't say a word.  "No, we, er, just wanted to say hi," I say nervously.  "Well, I appreciate the thought," Hagrid tells us.  I wait for the but, but it never comes.  "So, I figure yeh'll want ter head back up ter the castle," he says awkwardly.  "Yeah, we guess," Lily says.

Heading back up the grounds, Lily suggests that we try and find out where Remus and the others had gone.  I shrug and begin to say, "Well, I don't really think--"  "C'mon, it'll be fun!  Please?"

I eventually give in to her begging and agree to figure out what is going on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Hey!  I know you might not like this chapter, but I had to finish it quickly because I haven't updated in a while and I'm pressed for time.  To those who are still following my story, thanks!  It means so much to me!

Peace out,
Stephanie