«Chapter Four»

"Hey... James?"

"Yeah?"

"Where have you been lately?"

"Just with a friend."

"But... We never talk anymore."

"Sorry, maybe we can have lunch sometime again."

"...I guess."

-----

Even though it was a more casual lunch, I put on a dress. I went across the street and knocked on the door, James coming out. I smiled at him, suddenly having butterflies in my stomach.

"You look great!" James said as we walked to the car. I felt blood rush to my cheeks as I smiled nervously.

"Oh, thanks, you too." I replied.

We reached the car and I sat in the driver's seat, starting the car. As I drove to the Subway we were eating at, James and I talked. We arrived after a bit and went inside.

We got our food and sat at a table, starting to eat. We talked for awhile when someone came up to our table. She was a girl that looked the same age as me. She had black hair and brown eyes.

"Oh, hey, James! Who's this?" She asked.

"It's the friend I talked about to you," James explained.

"Oh, I see. The girl you've been hanging out with a ton?" She said with a hint of annoyance in her voice.

"Oh, c'mon Jaiden," James said jokingly.

Jaiden gave me a look full of envy. James noticed this, too, and tried changing the subject.

"So, Jaiden, what are you doing here?" James asked.

"Oh, I was just coming to get some lunch." She replied.

"Cool, same with us! She invited me yesterday," James looked over at me, and again I felt my cheeks warm up. I smiled at him.

"Oh," Jaiden rolled her eyes at me.

"Something up?" I mumbled.

"Hm?" Jaiden glared at me.

"Never mind." I looked back at James. He laughed nervously. I looked up at the clock and noticed it had been about thirty minutes.

"Wow, time flies fast when you're having fun! We should probably get going," I said. Jaiden scoffed.

"Oh, yeah. It was nice talking with you, Jaiden! I'll see you later!" James waved and stood up. I followed, and we left.

We drove back to my house, and hung out for another hour before James left. Afterwards, I thought about the girl who had talked to James at the Subway. How did she know James? Why was she so rude? I thought. I sighed and lay on my bed, closing my eyes and eventually falling asleep.