47. Stand

Have you ever felt a moment of such clarity that time itself seems to move in slow motion?

Well that's what I felt right now as I tread the path to the entrance. Breath came to me in steady drags. All my senses heightened with the adrenaline. Eyes were drawn to me from all sides, watching my passing with solemn stares, like a funeral procession. But faith was all I had, and that is what I would cling to in these final moments. Even if this should turn out to be the end, no one could argue that I had not lived.

My trident hung on my back, sturdy and strong, ready for action. I could almost feel my skin buzzing where it touched me, as if it had a mind of its own. We wanted to fight. I had to keep reminding myself that patience is of the essence in this delicate operation.

Ifran stood by the arch of the entrance, hands wringing. Tag paced across the dark tunnel, chewing on his lip, hands in his hair. Neither noticed me as I approached, apart from Cas, who watched with silence, sensing my arrival.

"Are they in place?" I speak with authority, turning their attention to me.

Ifran composes himself, "Yes. All in place. Arrival of the enemy in three hours and counting."

"Weavers prepped?" I turn to Cas with a meaningful glare.

"All have successfully tested your theory, and believe they can make it possible."

Sighing with relief I let my focus take to the shadowed path ahead, "Good, it's imperative we try."

Tag comes closer, picking a thread from my shoulder, "Are you ready?" He probes, as if searching for some doubt in my eyes to grip to.

"I'm ready," I assure him as best I can, clinging to my serene sense of disconnect to the physical world.

"Then you know what to do," Ifran step's in. I think because he senses I need to stay in my current state, "Our thoughts are with you in this task. Blessings on you, Serena."

I nod to them both, "Stick to the plan. I'll see both of you after. Stay safe."

More hesitation wouldn't do any of us good, so I step into the dark narrow cave section with a steady gait, so as not to trip in the lacking light, until I reach the pool.

The secondary entrance to Sanctuary is genius really. I jump into the black waters of the narrow pool. My fin finds its stride in the limited space as my hands brush the sides to guide me. For a while I'm heading straight up, until I see the dull light hitting the surface above me.

A light at the end of the tunnel. Today's metaphor.

Breaching from the depths finds me in a small cave, just above the surface of the calm ocean outside. Sirens would never expect an entrance to be at surface level, and humans couldn't survive the narrow tunnel below, let alone get to this cave with ease. At least in my absence Sanctuary stands the best chance.

The sun peaks through the clouds, creating golden pillars that bounce off the rippling ocean, colouring the cave walls like a kaleidoscope through the metal bars that protect this place. The gate is already wide open, as we may need it in the coming hours.

I breathe in the cold air as my legs return, gripping onto the ground just long enough to propel myself into the open ocean. My hair holds in it's pony tail, to keep my vision clear.

Baring's of the ocean before me came flooding back as I advance towards the shore. The coral reefs, the steep cliff edges. Memories flitted back like the sting of a jellyfish when I saw the destruction before me. Rocks and rubble large enough not to be stirred by the tide still lay around the destroyed entrance to Sanctuary. I had been responsible for the ruin of a beautiful formation. I mustn't think of this now.