8. Drifting

I sat at one of the desks in the lecture hall with the thick envelope in my hands. They trembled slightly. Why did this matter so much to me? I was leaving. I wouldn't need this where I was going. Perhaps it was the hope that I had somehow succeeded in surviving the human world? A small victory to take with me as I faced the unknown. I felt a hand on my shoulder.
McDougal's eyes smiled down at me, "Havn't looked yet?"
I shook my head, "Just a bit nervous is all."
I looked up as one of the students squealed with excitement, "I GOT AN A!" She fist bumped the air. Causing her friends to crowd round and cheer for her.
Only one guy sat with the boy at the back of the room who had clearly failed, his head in his hands. I expect he felt like the world was crumbling down around him. He had no idea what that really feels like.
McDougal patted my shoulder as my envelope remained sealed, "I have faith in you Serena." Just get it over with, like a band aid.
I closed my eyes as I slid my finger in the seal and slowly began to tear the envelope open, revealing the tip of the paper inside. Slowly, I slid it out. My heart squeezing in anticipation.
I stared at the paper for a moment. Unable to grasp what I was seeing.
I felt McDougal squeeze my shoulder, "I never had any doubt."
The A* stood in bold on the certificate. My joy was silent, reflective.
The happiness spread through every vein in my body, "Thank you for everything." My voice almost broke with emotion as I spoke. It was also my way of saying goodbye.
McDougal simply smiled, unaware of my situation, "We've got a little way to go yet. But I believe you'll make a fine doctor. I'll see you next term."
No you won't.
A pang of guilt drifted through me as he walked away to see the rest of his students. He was the only person in this world who will notice I'm gone. I wish I could say goodbye. But I knew it wasn't safe to announce my departure.

Kai waited by the gates. He was already beaming with joy when he saw me. It made him look his age when he smiled. Then it dawned on me that this was my last act of being human. I was finally forsaking man kind. Kai held his hand out to me. I think he too realised the significance of this event. I turned back one last time.

Students filled the grounds. Surrounded by their friends and family. There was an electricity in the air of hopeful futures. Laughter and chatter drifted on the sun filled breeze. Not a cloud in the sky to darken the day. I watched as parents hugged their children. Their expressions filled with pride. Their children getting embarrassed when Mum wanted one photo too many. It made me smile. This was how I wanted to remember human kind. Moments like these revealed all the redeeming qualities that had kept me going all these years.
I breathed it all in. Turning to Kai and pressing my palm to his.
He curled his fingers around mine like we had been doing it forever, "So, is there anything else you need to do before we leave tomorrow?"
I was leading Kai unthinkingly towards the cliffs. When it dawned on me where I was heading I paused, "There's an abandoned city hidden under the reefs."
Kai raised an eye brow, "What?"
"I found it ages ago. I think its an old Siren city. There's load of engravings of mythology on the arches in the buildings. There's only one entrance through a small hole at the edge of the reef. I'd like to see it one last time."
Kai's expression turned from concerned to horrified.
"Whats wrong?" I asked, confused as to what would cause such a reaction.
"We have to destroy it." His words came out rather cryptic.
I pulled my hand out of his, "What? Why?!" I couldn't hide my anger. Her sanctuary wasn't dangerous. It had served as my safe place. It had saved me from my own destruction. I couldn't just destroy it.
Kai turned me to face him, "You don't understand. If Dax finds it, he will use it as a base for his army. A front to destroy the humans. Starting with this town." The words hit me like a knife. Because I pictured my sanctuary being used for war. An image of Dax under the star charts, planning to kill.
And I knew I was going to have to destroy it, "How are we going to do this."

"Why do you have explosives on your boat? And how did you get let into port with explosives on your boat?" I grimaced as Kai pulled out the wrapped block from a hidden compartment.
"I have to carry it with me for occasions like this. We can't let the enemy obtain settling locations. So when ruins are located we have to destroy the entrances. Preserving the cities inside." Kai placed four blocks into his satchel and closed them in, "This should be enough to seal the entrance, without damaging anything inside."
I thought about the guardians, "What about any marine life? Like the fish and sharks? Will they survive inside?"
Kai nodded, "They will be safe. Places like that are always self sustaining. Lets go."