18. Plot

As we walked up the abandoned stairwell, I noted the change in behaviour from all my companions. Their postures relaxed and their acts dropped. Which didn't make me feel any better. In fact, I was growing tenser by the second.
Tag's grip didn't loosen, but I had a feeling his part was less of an act.
I could see the deep blue of the ocean providing an eerie shimmer from the skylight high above. I considered myself lucky that I was still fit from Aella's training. Looking at those around me now, not one of them was out of shape. I could tell by the way their muscles were toned that they were battle trained, as I had been. But probably since childhood in their case.
A shaky voice drifted from the top of the staircase, "Who goes there?"
Chance called up, in a now deep and commanding tone, "The Watchers."
Where did the squeak go?
"Enter friends," Came the reply.

At the top of the stairwell sat a tiny old woman on a stool, when I arrived in her line of sight, she stood on stick thin legs, pointing at me with a withered finger, "What is she doing here?!" She screeched, causing the doors to our left to fly open.
Fifty pairs of eyes turned to me, all armed, lead by a furious looking woman with raven hair.
"We're kidnapping her of course." Tag said with indifference.
My instincts kicked in with urgency. I elbowed him square in the face, hearing a satisfying crunch, making him release his grip. Obscenities flew from his mouth.
"You have no idea how much I wanted to do that," I growled triumphantly over a shocked Tag, before jumping nimbly over the bar onto the steps below, hitting them running.
I could hear footsteps hot on my heels, not daring to spare a glance backward as I traversed down with urgency, plunging into darkness.
Dammit.
I couldn't see a thing. Torches flicked on behind me as I blindly bolted through the passages, turning at random points. My breath sounded so loud in the enclosed darkness. Then I remembered the dusty floors.
Smart.
They had done it on purpose, so they would always be able to track down intruders with efficiency. In this case, my sorry self. How could Dax have been so stupid as to trust these people?
I pushed my legs, for the life of me unable to remember the way out. I was certainly lost now that I had strayed from the path. My leg hit something in the dark, causing a ringing to spread along the pipes, broadcasting my location. Pain shot up my shin, but I didn't have time to dwell on it. Voices could be heard yelling, from all directions. I was surrounded. Desperation creeping up my spine.
Noticing a loose pipe on the wall I grabbed it with both hands, feeling the rough rust of its peeling paint on my palm, yanking with all my strength. It snapped off from its bindings without much effort, causing more ruckus to echo down the hallway.
This was always going to end badly, I just hadn't thought it would be by rebels.
If this was my time, I was going to go down swinging. I wielded my improvised weapon with steady hands, something Aella had trained into me, and prepared for a fight.

The armed soldiers appeared all around me in moments, shining torches into my eyes, blinding me. I could hear the clicking of the guns they held. I reached out with my mind, grabbing all of them, shoving fear and uncertainty into their hearts. They shuffled nervously, some turning to leave.
Relief spread through me, as my hope increased. Then I felt something else, entering my mind, snapping me off from my illusion.
Making their senses return.
What?
Murmurs filled the hallway from the confused men. I reached out again only to find a barrier protecting them. I couldn't understand why my powers weren't working. I was so close. Taking up a defensive pose, I prepared for my end.

"You remember. You've known what was happening the whole time," It wasn't a question, the female voice drifted from behind the blinding light with amusement, "I must say. I didn't give you much credit, but it appears you are far more intelligent than we had thought. You even got him to show you where your friends are. That's good work," Her loud laughter echoed cheerfully.
I kept up my stance, ready for any surprise attacks. Even though I was horrifically outnumbered.
I could only see her silhouette as she broke through the circle, "Do you really think you can defeat fifty soldiers?"
"I can try," I didn't miss a beat.
Laugher drifted from her silhouette once more, joined by her comrades, "You have spirit, weaver. We aren't here to hurt you. Especially not now we know you have your memories and your powers. We have a mutual enemy. And the enemy of my enemy is my friend. I think we can help each other."
Not this again.
I had heard the 'trust me' spiel too many times, and how had they worked out?
"And why is it that I should trust you? Five minutes ago you were hunting me."
"Do you have a choice? Look around Serena, this only ends one of two ways. Why don't we go somewhere more comfortable?"
I had to give my answer now, feeling her patience waning.
Calming myself I succumbed to the situation, "Fine, lead the way. And just so you know. If anyone touches me, I have no quarrels breaking any noses."
She chuckled as her men dispersed.