Chapter 1

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize. Some parts are from Chris Colfer's An Author's Odyssey.

(italicized are thoughts)

***

Her train of thought was interrupted when Cornelia suddenly screamed. Bree and Emmerich looked up and saw that the Masked Man was pointing a revolver at them.

"What are you doing, Lloyd?" Emmerich asked.

The Masked Man ignored him. He stepped towards Cornelia and aimed the gun at her. The old woman raised her hands in the air.

"Did the girl say you have a plane?" he asked.

"Well...yes," Cornelia said. "I do."

The Masked Man jerked his head and gun toward Bree next. The girl stepped back instinctively but did not raise her hands in the air. This creepy guy would not force her to surrender.

"And you go to school with my niece and nephew," he said. "Do you know where they live and how to get there?"

Bree was scared speechless. "I...I...I..." she mumbled.

"JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION!" the Masked Man yelled.

"Yes!" Bree said. She had no idea what she was doing, she just wanted everyone to be safe! She just found Emmerich, she couldn't lose him again!

Then she realized the fatal mistake. Crap crap crap! He wants to kill the twins! How could you just easily reveal information! Her breathing quickened and she began to panic.

Emmerich was petrified. He regretted not trusting his instincts in the woods. Clearly, the man wasn't who he said he was.

"You're not Alex and Conner's uncle, are you?" he asked.

"Yes, I most certainly am," the Masked Man said. "Actually, I'm a lot more than what you realize, but we'll have plenty of time for that later. The four of us are going on a trip to the twins' house-right now!"

"But Alex and Conner aren't there," Bree peeped. "They're in the fairy-tale world!"

The Masked Man chuckled. "Stupid girl," he said. "I never said I was looking for the twins."

"Who do you want then?" Bree asked, slowly regaining some courage after knowing the twins were safe for now. But then the Masked Man obviously couldn't be trusted.

"None of your business," the Masked Man snapped, still pointing his gun at Bree. "Now are you going to take us to them, or do we need some persuading?" He trailed off, aiming the gun at Cornelia. Bree stepped in front of her instinctively.

The wheels in Bree's brain began to turn. The Masked Man probably wasn't going to kill her as she had information. If he wanted to kill Emmerich, he would have done it earlier. So if he wanted to force Bree, he had to use Cornelia.

"So?" the Masked Man asked mockingly.

Bree's heart pumped loudly. "No." she said in a quiet voice, but she was unwavering. "I won't tell you."

"Really?" the Masked Man asked, his voice dangerously soft.

Bree gulped. "Yes."

The silence that followed was agonizing. The Masked Man lowered his gun slowly, his eyes boring into Bree's. She stared back defiantly, although her hands were shaking.

Suddenly, the Masked Man lurched forward, grabbing Bree. Emmerich and Cornelia screamed. The Masked Man pushed Bree forcefully, his body weight pinning her to the wall. He aimed his gun at Bree, the cold metal pressed against her forehead. Bree glanced upwards at him nervously.

"Bree!" Emmerich cried desperately, his call echoing around the room. The Masked Man spun around, aiming his gun at Emmerich and Cornelia. When they didn't say a word, he pointing his gun back at Bree, his other hand swiftly covering her mouth.

"You will do what I say." the Masked Man growled. Bree squirmed under him, her eyes glaring unforgivably at him. Emmerich and Cornelia looked helplessly upon them.

Bree's mind was racing. She needed something to distract the Masked Man, then they could all escape. She had been to the castle before, surely she knew more than the Masked Man. Besides, they were in her world, so she was at advantage. But first, she had to get them out of this sticky situation quickly.

The Masked Man pressed the gun harder against Bree's forehead. Bree's survival instincts kicked in, and kicked in literally. Bree kneed the Masked Man in the groin, something her parents told her to do if she ever met a dangerous man. He howled and moved away from Bree in pain. Bree took this advantage.

"Let's go!" she cried, grabbing Cornelia and Emmerich. Emmerich stared open mouthed at Bree, but he obeyed her.

"Not so fast!" the Masked Man laughed maniacally. He stretched out a leg and tripped Bree. With a yelp, she fell down and the Masked Man walked in front of her.

"You can run, but you can never hide." the Masked Man said cryptically, a crazy look in his eyes. He stared down at Bree, who was struggling to stand up and glaring at him hatefully. "Now, tell me or else... the twins die."

Everybody gasped in horror. The Masked Man was pleased by this effect, and continued, "I wasn't planning to kill them, but if it has to be this way... I guess it couldn't be helped."

"Just because I don't know where they are, it doesn't mean I won't see them again. Those foolish brats are bound to return to the Land of Stories. And then..." he mimed slitting his throat with his hand.

Emmerich gasped. "You won't! They're your family!"

"I will do anything, anything for power." he laughed loudly, triumphant when he saw Emmerich's horrified face. Oh, only if he knew the truth. His horrible laughter made the room vibrate and echo endlessly.

Bree still laid on the floor. She knew that she had lost the fight. Tears came to her eyes when she thought of what would happen to Conner and Alex.

"Fine." she sobbed, slowly standing up. She wiped the tears from her face and stared at the Masked Man in the eye.

"But I warn you," Bree's eyes glinted. "The Bailey twins are tough to beat. A mere man can't defeat them."

In anger, the Masked Man threw a punch at Bree. She tried to dodge, but it hit her shoulder. Pain jolted through her body and she hissed. Anger was boiling up in Bree, and she felt herself losing her cool demeanor. She dearly wanted to punch the living daylights out of the Masked Man, but she saw Cornelia shake her head. Bree would be even more hurt if she tried to fight.

She took a deep breath. "Okay." Once, Conner had told her a story about Alex's ex-boyfriend betraying Alex and the royals. Alex never forgave him. She hoped that she wouldn't have the same fate, and she prayed silently, "Please forgive me."

***

A/N: This short story is continued and finished! Please read and review!