Chapter 5

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize. Some dialogue are from Chris Colfer's An Author's Odyssey.

***

"This is my story- we're in 'Cemetery of the Undead'!"

Even though Bree said it out loud, she still wasn't sure if it was real or not. Normally, she thought that her straightforward logic would help with dealing the situation, but for once, it didn't. It was even more mind boggling than discovering the Land of Stories because those had been classic literature. This was just some story she came up with.

"I got my stories from Mrs. Peters," Conner tried to explain. "She must have mixed your writing with mine when she gave them to me! It's been in the back of my binder the whole time! I didn't have a divider between them, so the Portal Potion must have seeped through my writing and into yours."

Uhh... okay? Bree stared blankly at Conner. She didn't understand a word he said. So basically we weren't supposed to go here, but somehow we're here, so we have to save Emmerich and the others? In the midst of zombies, graves and a creepy cemetery? Ah crap, please don't tell me it's midnight. She looked down at her watch. Damn. Twenty five minutes to midnight. This is just brilliant.

The situation couldn't be worse. Goldilocks was about to give birth, Emmerich and Charlotte were in grave danger, they stumbled upon a cemetery with real zombies, and to top things off, the Masked Man was out there, roaming with a gun.

"You guys stay with Goldie," Conner instructed. "I'm going to find Emmerich and my mom. As soon as I get them away from the Masked Man, I'll send my mom here to help."

"I'm coming with you," Bree said automatically.

"You can't, it's too dangerous." Conner replied.

Bree appreciated the sentimental effort, but which part of her current adventure wasn't dangerous? Besides, she felt responsible for taking care of Emmerich. "Conner, I know you're used to being the hero of your own stories, but this is mine." Uh, Conner said he travelled to his own stories, so I didn't say anything wrong, right? "I know this cemetery like the back of my hand. Besides, we only have twenty minutes until midnight- we have to get everyone out of here before then!"

"What happens at midnight?" Red asked anxiously.

"The characters come out." Bree gulped at the thought of it. Yeah, I like writing about zombies, but I never thought I would meet one. Besides, if my descriptions are accurate, they would creep everyone out!

"What's wrong with you writers?" Red yelled angrily. "If you wrote instruction manuals, we wouldn't have this problem!"

Bree wanted to make a sarcastic comeback, but choked it down her throat. She decided Emmerich and Charlotte would be their top priority now. She and Conner looked at the mausoleums. If memory served her right, there would be 666 of those mausoleums (Bree chose that number because it was a creepy number). They simply looked at the staggering number of mausoleums, wondering where Emmerich and Charlotte were.

Finally, they decided to make a move. They silently but swiftly searched through the mausoleums, heart sinking every time they found an empty mausoleum. Bree marked down the places they visited in her head. Emmerich... Where are you?

The cemetery was deathly silent, the only sound being their footsteps and their heavy breathing.

Suddenly, the clear sound of broken glass pierced through the silence, followed by gunfire then shrill screams. Conner and Bree looked up quickly and peered around, anxiety filling them.