Chapter 2

Disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize.

***

For the first time, Emmerich thought that the witches weren't that bad at all. After all, getting his friends in danger was worse than getting himself in danger.

The Masked Man pointed the gun towards Bree, Emmerich and Cornelia. They walked towards the entrance of the castle. Everytime one of them made a noise, the Masked Man would jerk his gun towards them dangerously. There was no way of getting help.

Bree was trying to come up with an escape plan. The Masked Man had a sling, which meant that his left arm was broken. And from the way he was holding his gun, he was right-handed. If she could only find a way to break his right arm too...

Maybe she could take off her jacket and strangle him... or take Cornelia's cane and whack him in the head... or push him off Mary's Bridge if they happened to go across it. Reading murder mystery novels had broadened Bree's knowledge of murder.

But was it right to kill him? Sure, he was a bad person, but if Bree killed the Masked Man, would that make her a bad person too?

Conner's voice floated to her mind. "Sometimes you have to do the wrong thing for the right reason."

A wave of nostalgia flooded Bree. She hadn't seen Conner for months, and although she would never admit it, she missed him a lot. She missed his crooked smile, the fact that he would go red and ramble, and his sarcastic humor.

Damn, Bree thought. I'm starting to be like the romantic saps that my sisters are.

The reached the entrance of the castle. It was so still, so silent that it could almost be peacefull. It was painfully ironic that their situation was not at all peaceful.

Emmerich broke the silence with a sniffle. The Masked Man spun around to glare at him. Bree protectively put an arm on Emmerich's back.

They walked through the Hohenschwangau village. Emmerich looked frantically around him, he was finally back but he wasn't allowed to go home. It broke Bree's heart to realize this. So close, yet so far. She thought somberly.

She half-wished that Frau Himmelsbach would run up and find Emmerich, but then the Masked Man would probably threaten her as well.

Tears rolled down Emmerich's cheeks. Bree wanted to comfort him, but the Masked Man was aiming his gun right at them. Cornelia frowned and glared at the Masked Man.

The Masked Man was taken back by surprise. There was something oddly familiar about that glare, but he couldn't think of why. He gripped the gun tighter.

The moon started to peek out of the clouds, bathing them in silvery moonlight. As they reached the plane, Bree turned back to look at the majestic Neuschwanstein castle for the last time. It looked so mysterious, yet so imposing. The moonlight seemed to make the castle glow.

"Come on." Emmerich said quietly, tugging on Bree's sleeve. He looked at her with wide scared eyes. Bree gave him a small smile and patted his head before entering the plane.

The Masked Man didn't know how to fly a plane. From what he gathered, the old woman could fly the plane, but he couldn't fully trust her. He smirked as he thought of the perfect way to make her obey him.

"Any funny business," he rasped, pointing his gun at Cornelia, then at Emmerich, "Will result in the boy's death."

Cornelia gulped while Emmerich just stared at him, horrified. Bree gasped indignantly.