Chapter 9-Wednesday

Chapter 9

"Why do you smell like Seth?!"

"Oh, gross, do I? I took a shower, but I guess that didn't do the trick."

Hunter was fuming, just as Seth had predicted.

"Why do you smell like Seth?!"

"We hung out yesterday."

"Listen," Hunter grabbed my arm. "You are mine, not his, I don't care how many times you hurt my balls, I WILL protect you no matter what you're capable of. You could have all the superpowers in the world, and I would still protect you from crazy guys like Seth."

We were staring into each other's eyes. Cut the cheese, nothing romantic was going on. At least, not in that moment. We were just in the midst of an epic face off, and neither of us were willing to let the other prevail. Suddenly, his gaze became that of an Alpha's.

"Stop cheating!" I barked, letting authority flow into my voice.

He looked down, ashamed. If he was in wolf form, his tail would've been tucked between his legs.

"Sorry, Alpha," he muttered. Suddenly he snapped out of it. "Hey! You cheated!"

"You started it!"

"Did not!"

"Did too!"

"Hey lovebirds, get to class!" Erin interrupted, swinging her arm around Hunter.

An involuntary growl erupted from my throat. Hunter smirked, and Erin jumped in shock.

"Geez, you don't have to growl at me. I'll give you two some private time," she giggled viciously. "Off I go, don't get pregnant Lana!"

"Oh you are so dead later," I sighed.

"Technically, I'm half undead... good luck with that!"

Hunter turned to me with a confused look plastered on his face.

"Don't worry about it."

*\(^o^)/*

After school let out, I decided to go visit my grandfather's old study. We used to be very close until Alzheimer's disease got the best of him. They call Alzheimer's the slow goodbye, and I could see why. Slowly, the person you love wastes away in confusion until they're nothing but a jumble of forgotten memories. He died, three years ago, but I could never bring myself to get rid of his things.

His desk was a mess. Out of curiosity, I decided to read one of his journals. The handwriting was messy, but I deciphered schedules, contact informations, dates of meetings, and lists of things to do. Suddenly, halfway through, the writing stopped. For some reason, this bothered me. I spotted another journal laying in the corner. Same thing. He wrote down schedules, numbers, dates, and then the writing stopped in the middle of the journal.

This happened with the three other journals I found. Another notable pattern was the contact information on the first page. He would tape a piece of his business card and put a ten dollar reward for the return of the journal. I was confused. At him and at myself. What was I searching for?

Another journal. This one was deep blue with golden designs bordering the cover. A red bookmark peeked out from the bottom like a snake's tongue. The pages were lined with gold, and they were heavy and creamy. The handwriting was different. It was small, round, and neat. I read the "this belongs to..." page under the cover.

This journal belongs to Nikki Wolfe.

I was in shock. Why did my grandfather have this? Should I read it? I contemplated the pros and cons of reading the journal. Pros: I get to satisfy my curiosity and learn more about my mysterious ancestor. Cons: I might find something that could possibly... Maybe it's cursed? There was really not much stopping me. My grandfather usually let me access all his files, since they were usually all work related. He told me that reading files would help me with being an alpha later on.

So, I turned to the first page and read with hunger.

Hi Nolana (ooooh, spooky). It's your ancestor (ha! It's so weird to call myself that. I'm still young, I swear). I'm sitting here on the couch, pregnant as helł, eating Doritos. I hope my kid isn't addicted to Doritos, because I am NOT sharing. Anyways, I am here because Hestia told me about you. I know, you may be confused. "Who's Hestia?" Well, she's the little fox voice inside my head.

I paused here to brush away orange crumbs that had gotten stuck in the binding.

I know you don't have one, and I know you haven't developed any powers. Now, you may be wondering why, and I am here to tell you exactly that. You see, one of your ancestors somewhere down the line from me will decide to store the powers of the fox away, for fear that someone may try to use us for evil doings. Don't blame them, let me just say that a lot of special shifters get kidnapped or attacked.
Anyways, she put all of the family's fox shifter powers inside this amulet locket thing. Unfortunately, our little helper friend Hestia went with it. As soon as the amulet was formed, it disappeared from her hands and reappeared in mine. It was kind of really weird. Anyways, Hestia foretold of a descendant being able to reclaim those powers.
Long story short, here I am, writing this down. I really don't know what to put down in the rest of the book? I think maybe I went overboard with buying the journal but it just looked so cool on the shelf and I had extra money... so... well here we are!
I guess I'll just write down my story. In case the Wattpad app doesn't exist in the future. Of course Hestia didn't bother to tell me that, so I'll write down everything and more. Where "Sly as a Fox" left off, I'll continue, in this book.
Oh, right, in the back of this book the amulet is stored there. Psh that was probably the most important part of this spiel. I'm pretty sure you already know the gist of my story, so do yourself a favor and skip straight to the end of the book. Hopefully it's not too cheesy and the dang thing doesn't start glowing or some sh¡t.

I laughed, and flipped the book open to the back. A beautiful heart shaped amulet was nestled in a crook where a section of cut pages created a small hollow. At first, I was hesitant to touch it. It looked silver, but then I Nikki's handwriting on the side of the page.

Don't worry, it's platinum.

As I reached out to grab it, the faint scent of lavender seemed to blossom. With some hesitance, I fastened the amulet around my neck. Nothing happened immediately, but I kept it on anyways. Underneath the space where the necklace originally was, Nikki had written something else.

It is helpful to note that the necklace will affect people who are not part of our bloodline if they try to take it. It will either shock them, or emit something that makes everyone in the general area fall asleep except for you.
I found the sleeping part out when one of my friends came up and held it to get a better look, and within five seconds, everyone in the room had fallen asleep. The sleep lasts for a good five to ten minutes, and nobody remembered what happened to them when they woke up.

Weird, but kind of funny. Nothing grand or magical seemed to spring from the necklace, so I decided to just keep wearing it to see what would happen. Normally, I would be aggravated at the addition of more dramatic occurrences in my life, but this one seemed to be a positive thing; one that didn't require paperwork or meetings or social diplomacy. It was a simple and private affair.

I looked down at the amulet again. Maybe I could work out what to do. However, I only had a few more days left.

I needed a plan.