The End for Me

I heard multiple people screaming Artemis' name, but we all knew it would do nothing. Artemis was dead, the first of us to go down.

"Everyone, get inside the Bioship!" Aqualad ordered as he ran towards the ship that was stuck in the ice with his water blades out. All of us scampered inside and we took our seats. Nobody spoke to each other, not even when Aqualad came in to join us. We rode away from the fortress in almost total silence, aside from M'gann's sniffles and Wally's angry mumblings. M'gann was taking it hard, but Wally was taking it even harder. I kept hearing him say the words "alien" and "dead" in sentences, over and over again. I wanted to cry; I could feel that ache in my chest, but I couldn't. I could mourn when I was alone, when this whole thing was over.

Wally kept hitting the dashboard in front of him, and it was starting to shake the whole ship. Finally, Aqualad decided it was time to take control. "There will be time to mourn later. Now we have a job to do... defend the Earth and ensure Artemis' sacrifice was not in vain.

"Back to the cave?" M'gann asked weakly from her earlier sobs.

"No. The Hall of Justice. The human race must know that there are still heroes defending them." Aqualad said. "There is still hope." He was right, but he was also wrong. The hope we could bring them would be a minimal amount. Of course, they would feel better having someone defend them, but it would make them feel bad that their precious Justice League couldn't even stop the aliens. Even worse, their heroes were a small group of kids.

But we were better than nothing.

~~~~~~~

The Hall of Justice was a war zone.

The sky had turned a greyish red from all the bombs and missals the troops had sent at the oncoming alien ships, but it had done them no good. The alien ships shot their lasers, destroying tanks and machine guns and worst of all, the soldiers.

Three more alien ships were attacking, and we had gotten there just in time. The bioship flew behind them, and a hole in the middle of it opened, letting Conner drop down on top of a ship, destroying it with many loud crashes and thuds. The remaining two were shot down with their own tech that we had stolen. M'gann flew the ship over to the crowd of soldiers, and we got there the same time that Conner did. The team exited to the loading part of the ship and M'gann opened the back hatch, and when she did we were greeted with loud cheers from the soldiers. We walked down the loading ramp and I could hear a conversation between two of the soldiers about Conner. When I heard 'Where's the cape?' I knew that they had thought that Conner was Superman.

"I'm not Superman." Conner said, and I could hear some anger in his voice. I guess he was still upset about the whole Superman-not-telling-him-stuff ordeal. A larger guy approached him and I could tell by the patches on his sleeve and the fact that he was wearing a different uniform that he was a high-ranking officer, most likely the one in charge of this group of soldiers.

"I don't know who you are, son. And right now, I don't care. You wear the "S" and you got the job done." The larger guy said.

"I'm not Superman." Conner said, this time a little less angry, but more sad. I really hoped that there wasn't a "Suck it up" look on my face that was directed in his general direction because that would not give these soldiers a very good first impression.

"Tell that to the enemy." The man said, and Aqualad approached him. The man gave him a big salute and announced his name and rank. "General Wade Eiling, U.S. Air Force."

"Aqualad, Justice League." Aqualad had hesitated on the Justice League part because he knew it wasn't good to lie to these people, but it was the best way to ensure hope. "We'll help you salvage as many of the aliens' cannons as possible, then we start taking back what is ours."