Chapter 1

"No, it's fine," I mumbled into my phone with a sigh. "I guess I will be able to make it home soon."

"Alright Caroline. Thank you. I miss you so much," my mom replied and made a kissing noise before hanging up.

I leaned back on the couch in the lobby and pulled up Facebook, checking to see what was new with my friends back home in Green Bay. When I was done I put my phone down on the cushion and looked around me. The lobby was almost empty. Where is my cousin? Is she ever going to be here?

As I took one last look I noticed an attractive looking man walking toward me. There's no way he's coming the way to talk to me. No way.

I picked my phone up again and acted as if I was doing something on my phone. After a few seconds the cushion next to me sank and I could smell someone's fresh cologne.

"Uh... Hi there," a soft shy voice greeted me. I looked over at the person and was met with the most amazing pair of blue eyes.

I was suddenly nervous and not sure what to say. "Hi... Uh... I'm Caroline," I responded nervous all of a sudden. I slowly stuck my hand out.

"I'm Brett. You looked lonely... So I thought I'd come over here and talk to you," Brett told me with a small smile playing on his face.

"I-I yeah... I was supposed to meet my cousin here about an hour ago, but she still hasn't showed up," I admitted and let out a slight sigh.

"Oh... I'm sorry about that. Were you two supposed to do dinner... Or," he asked slowly and had a look of hope on his face.

"Yeah. We were supposed to meet because this is the first time I've been able to make my way to New York to see her," I informed with a sigh.

"Well... Would you like to go to dinner with me? I was just about to head out to grab something for myself and bring it back," He offered and moved slightly.

"I uh," I paused, "I don't normally go to dinner with strangers." This is awkward.

"I don't normally either... But... I just thought," he was stumbling upon his words.

I giggled, "Sure... I'll go with you, but only because you're cute." I shot him a goofy smile and he shot me one in return as he stood up. Brett put his hand out and waited to me to take it.

I took it and he helped me up as I stuffed my phone into my pocket. "Where are we going," I asked as the two of us walked out of the hotels automatic doors.

"Well," he stated as he rolled down his dress shirt sleeves. "I don't know... What do you like?"

"I don't know... I like just about everything. No sushi. That's my only rule," I told him as I wrapped my jacket tighter around me.

"Alright, I can deal with that. I know just the place to go," He declared and gave me a small smile. Brett grabbed my hand and pulled me along the cold streets of New York. His hand was warm, leaving me in a daze.

"Okay, I will trust you with this one," I replied in a small voice because I didn't know what else to say to him.

"Caroline, I'll I need is your trust! You'll love this place! I mean it's no Deep Dish pizza from Chicago, but it's absolutely amazing New York style pizza," He exclaimed with excitement in his voice.

I giggled as he pulled me into a pizza parlor called 'Joe's Pizza'. It looked like a cute little place that you see in all the movies. Brett let go of my hand and then looked back at me with his shocking blue eyes. "What do you like on your pizza," He asked as he raised an eyebrow.

"I'll have the supreme. Heres some money," I mentioned as I pulled a ten dollar bill out of my pocket.

Brett instantly shoved the money in my hand back toward me. "No! I'll pay for it! What kind of a gentleman would I be if I asked you to come to dinner with me and I made you pay?!"

I sighed in defeat. "Okay. Fine. Do you want me to go find us a place to sit," I asked as I turned around to only see about two tables that were vacant.

Brett nodded. "Sure. I'll be right over as soon as I pay! Thank you Caroline," he thanked with his heartwarming smile.

I nodded and turned to grab a table. Once I sat down I studied the red and white table cloth. Pizza places all over have these table cloths and it's honestly kinda awesome. It completely reminds me of home.

My thoughts were interrupted when Brett sat down across from me and placed two bottles of water down on the table. "Whatcha thinking about," he asked as his blue eyes stared back at me.

"This reminds me of the pizza place we always went to back home... Or just about every pizza place I've been," I giggled and took my bottle of water, taking the cover off and sipping it.

"Where are you from," he asked, "why don't you tell me about yourself?"

"I'm from Green Bay, Wisconsin," I began with.

Brett shook his head and acted like he was going to get up from the table. "You're a Packers fan, aren't you! I can't associate with those," he told sarcastically as he sat back down with a chuckle.

I smirked at him. "Are you from Minnesota, Illinois or Michigan," I quickly asked as I chuckled with him.

"Illinois! God. I can't believe I'm talking to a Packers fan... but go on," He joked with his fabulous smile.

"Of course you are," I laughed and continued, "but anyway... I'm 27 years old... I'm really good at bowling and I'm a photographer... Yeah... That's all there really is to me."

"Alright... That sounds pretty cool... And did anyone tell you that you have the most amazing smile and laugh," he asked as he smiled at me.

I blushed and looked down at the table cloth as I put my hair behind my ear. When I looked back up at him he was shooting me a charming smile that no one could refuse.

"Why uh... Why don't you tell me about yourself, Brett," I asked and gave him a small smile in return.

"Well, I'm from Paris, Illinois, I like Baseball and I'm an upcoming country singer," He informed, "And I'm 29."

I nodded. "That pretty cool, I take it you like Cubs or the White Sox then, huh," I questioned and raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah! I love the Cubs! I've been watching them with my Dad and Brother since I was born," Brett informed with a big goofy smile on his face. "Do you like the Milwaukee Brewers then?"

"Awesome! And god no. I cannot stand the Brewers... I'm not much for Baseball, but I do like the Boston Red Sox. My uncle would always watch them when I was little so I just ended up watching their games," I told him and sighed.

"So, you said you like to bowl earlier. How good are you," he asked and placed his hand underneath his chin as he asked me.

"My average is a 194 and I've had one 300 game," I explained and leaned back in my chair a bit.

"That's really cool! Maybe we'll have to go bowling sometime," He replied with his charming smile. As soon as he said that two plates were placed down in front of us with large single slices of pizza.

"That'd be great," I responded with a small smile and grabbed the slice of pizza. 

*** New book! What are y'alls thoughts?!?! Updates may be spaced out... But I thought that I'd see what y'all think about it and see if its worth writing more!