[9] Lost Souls of Ohio

[April 2002]

"So how was it?"

"How was what?"

"Trying to get laid with a ghost while you were still alive."

Patrick sat on his elbow and snorted. "It wasn't good. And I don't recommend it in any ways, so don't even think about it."

I turned my head away and looked out the window. The ride to Ohio was long and boring, and the only thing I could do was to pull out my guitar and plug my headset into the amplificator (but I had no space to do that) or to re-read the Lord of the Rings. Patrick wasn't real; he couldn't be, but he was more entertaining than Frodo.

"I've never been to Ohio," Patrick sighed after a while.

"Oh, you're gonna see a lot now, even if you're dead."

Since Patrick was likely to be a hallucination, I hoped that I wasn't actually talking to anyone and didn't look like a total psychopath to other people.

"Next stop: Cleveland, Ohio," the robotic voice of the train assistant was heard through the speakers.

I zipped up my bag and ate the last bits of chips before getting ready to drop there. My aunt invited me to Cleveland to see my cousin, Micah, perform with his marching band (even if he deliberately stated that he didn't want to see his "gay, idiotic, sad and self-pitiful" younger cousin while he was going to play one of the most important shows in his life) and said that she'll pick me up from the train station. I haven't visited my relatives in South Russell since we moved to Chicago in 8th grade, and now that I was stepping back in Ohio I felt the guilt building up in my body. I had a feeling that this wasn't going to end well, and when it came to relatives, then I was 99% right.

My guitar jumped up and down in its case as I sprinted to the exit, right where my aunt's car was parked.

"Woah, mate! You know I was never good at cardio!" Patrick breathed next to my ear, making the hairs on my arms sit up.

"Please shut up while we're in the car. I don't want her thinking I'm even crazier than she knows from Mom."

Patrick nodded as his color gradually faded out. Since the 'event' at Pete's garage, I have learned quite a few things about my imaginary pal; such as my ability to mute him if I was calm enough.

It was my mind fucking me over, after all. I still had no idea how Patrick managed to actually hit Adam, but I guess I didn't have to find out any time soon. I wasn't going to see them as frequently anymore and it was like a big weight was lifted off my shoulders.

"Hey, honey!" my aunt greeted me after placing a humid kiss on my cheek. "I'm so glad that you could come!"

I forced a small smile while I was trying to fit my luggage into the trunk. "Well, it's Friday night, I've got nothing to do at home... why not?"

"Oh, I missed you so much, Joey!"

"I missed you too, Remy."

Aunt Remy started the engine with a weird smile, adjusting the mirror and then applying some fresh lipstick.

"Hmm... nice name, Remy." I turned around in my seat, Patrick was smirking back at me. I gave him a menacing look and he just grinned. Sometimes I preffered depressed and quiet Patrick over sassy and ADHD-fueled Patrick.

"You've grown so much, dearie," she stated, focusing on the dark roads of Interstate 77. "When did you get so much hair?"

"I thought letting it be for a while wouldn't harm anyone."