"All my fault" (11) *edited*

Alex (still before he ended up at the park)

I walk down the quiet street known as Emerson Ave and wrap my arms tighter around my body.

It was nearly night, almost 6 o'clock, and I had been walking for at least three hours.

My phone is still ringing with texts from Brett. I want to talk to him but I don't know how to explain myself to him.

He won't understand how I'm feeling.

I sigh and power my phone down, stuffing it back into my hoodie pocket. Jeez it's cold out.

The sun was setting in the sky and a light pink and orangey color mixed together illuminating the dark sky and casting shadows over the many rows of houses.

I pull out my pack of cigarettes from my back pocket, a last minute decision I had made to bring, and a lighter that I stole from my father.

Lighting the cigarette I puff out a cloud of smoke which makes me cough a bit because I haven't smoked in a while.

"Alex?"

I hear my name being called from behind me and I recognize it as Brett's voice.

Refusing to turn around I keep walking faster and drop the cigarette, stepping on it as I walk.

"Alex I know it's you! Get in the car." He calls but I still refuse to look back.

"Alex get-" I tried to warn him.

But it was too late.

The truck came too fast.

Too close.

His car was here one minute.

Then the next..

It was wrapped around a tree.

I'm screaming his name, my throats burns, my shoes are slapping against the pavement, running as fast as I can towards him.

But it seems as if the farther I run, the farther he's moving away from me.

I finally, after what feels like years, reach the dented, scratched up, car and look through the passenger side window.

Brett is halfway unconscious and bleeding pretty much from head to toe. His eyes are closed but it seems his arms and fingers are still working.

He twitches his fingers a little and then stops.

"Brett, can you hear me baby? Twitch your hand if you can."

Nothing.

"Come on, do something."

Nothing.

"Oh God, oh God, oh God this is all my fault. It's all my fault."

I sit there pathetically and cry like my life depends on it until the ambulance shows up.