chapter 1

"if you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal. not to people or things." -Albert Einstein

Dinah pov

"what was that earlier, Dinah?"

"what was what?"

"you looking at that girl every chance you got in the restaurant."

"can i not look at another girl's beauty?"

"i did not raise you to be a lesbian, Dinah. you're only 10 years old, you don't know anything yet."

"i know what i feel, dad. i learned in school that people shouldn't be hateful towards other people whether they're black, white, mexican, asian. you should be happy and support the people that are still having a hard time because of who they are. you should learn a thing or two from them."

"from this moment, you, Dinah Jane Hansen, are not my daughter. i will not have a gay child. i didn't raise no gays. i don't want you here anymore."

"where will i go?"

"it's not my problem."

"Dinah, hurry up. we have to get you on that stage in less than 5 minutes." my manager said, taking out of my daydream.

"sorry Lo."

"it's fine, just hurry up and get your ass out there."

i nodded as i began to run. when i could see the stage approaching, i started walking. it was almost time and i could feel myself getting nervous. this has been my dream. ever since i was a kid, i was always told that i would never make it in the music industry. they said i wasn't good enough or that i don't have what it takes.

when those people saw me rising up to fame, they were surprised. they made me thrive to be the singer that i wanted to become. i didn't have any support from my family because my dad had kicked me out at a young age. i didn't have a mom because she died. he has never contacted me ever since. i was an abomination in his eyes because i liked the same gender.

3..2..1..

i ran on stage and immediately heard cheering and yelling.

"what's up Texas?" i screamed, as the crowd screamed louder.

xxxx

by the time i finished, i was really sweaty. i hurriedly got off stage and went to the dressing room. i needed to shower. i grabbed my stuff and left. i entered our hotel room and went straight to the bathroom. just as i got in the shower, there was a knock on the door.

"Dinah?" a voice called softly.

"what's up, Lauren?" i asked, opening the door with a towel wrapped around me.

"we have to postpone the tour for a little bit."

"what do you mean? what happened?"

"some people left. they said they couldn't do it anymore because they never get to see their family."

i groaned in frustration because this always happened. we always had to find new people. it was always in Texas too. i don't know what's up with Texas.

"i'm going to shower first so we can talk about this later."

Lauren nodded, walking away as i shut the door. i dropped the towel and got in the shower once again. letting the cold water hit my skin gave me comfort. i put some shampoo in my hands and began to wash my hands. doing the same with the conditioner before washing my body. when i finished, i dried myself before drying my hair with the towel. i put on a robe before leaving. i walked out with it still a little wet but i didn't care. i then found Lauren on the couch looking at her intertwined hands and sat beside her.