chapter 7

"only do what your heart tells you." -Princess Diana

Normani pov

*2 years later*

we don't talk anymore but the girls still work with her. she didn't need me anymore and if i continued to be there, it wouldn't be a happy environment. she deserved to be happy without me and i know she is. performing probably takes her mind off of me.

"Mani, what are you doing?" Ashley asked me, as i threw a ball.

"what does it look like?"

"you know you only play basketball when you're stressed. what's wrong?"

"Dinah and i broke up 2 years ago on this day."

"why didn't you fight for her?"

"i was stupid and didn't even though i told her i would."

"you completely left her life?"

"what's the point of me being there if she doesn't want me there?"

"you ever think about maybe she does but you're just overthinking. she probably wants you to still fight for her."

"i don't have the right. she has a girlfriend now, Ash."

"well fuck the girlfriend. fight for the girl you love."

"let's not." i said, shooting another ball.

"where is the girl i used to know? what happened to her? she was so sassy and risked her life even if it probably wasn't going to end well."

"she's gone. she left when Dinah left."

"i'm calling Arielle over here."

"she's not going to help with anything."

i saw from my peripheral vision that Ashley went in the house. i stopped shooting the ball into the hoop and sat down. i never deleted anything from Dinah. i still had pictures of us, off guard pictures of me, off guard pictures of her, and text messages. she was the only one to truly make me happy. the only one i got attached to. the only one i'm in love with. i sighed before playing some of her songs out loud.

before i knew it, i was crying. i felt two arms wrap around me and i just hated myself for hurting Dinah. i shouldn't have let her go and i was so stupid to let that happen. i need her back. she was on tour right now and she's in Lake Charles, Louisiana.

"go get her, sis." they told me, handing me a ticket that was for Dinah's concert.

"where did you get this?" i asked.

"Ally gave it to me to give to you in case you changed your mind about seeing Dinah. she also gave me a backstage pass for you." Arielle replied, handing me the pass.

"she knew." i whispered, as i gave them a hug.

i tell both of them goodbye and that if i fail, i'm going to need them. i took my keys from the belt loops of my pants and i started my car. 2 hours until i see Dinah. please don't be done until i get there.

xxxx

when i got there, there were so many people. i had to push my way through until i could see Dinah perfectly. when i did, she just got done with her last song. she was sweaty but she looked beautiful. when she talked, she was out of breath.