chapter 5

"the truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. you just got to find the ones that are worth suffering for." -Bob Marley

Normani pov

10 am. we finally arrived and i headed to the hospital my nephew was at. i rushed out of the car after i put it in park and entered the hospital. i always hated hospitals. i have since i was young because i would always be in it. it was very depressing.

"auntie!" Keldyn screamed, as i entered.

i picked her up and gave her a kiss on the cheek. i walked over to Arielle, who was sitting there crying. i put Keldyn on the floor and whispered something in her ear. she giggled before running over to Ally, who then picked her up.

"he'll be okay. he always is. this is a scary thing and i know. look on the bright side, you're little girl is just a little ray of sunshine. her brother is in that hospital and is getting checked but she's still smiling."

Arielle smiled as she began to wipe her tears away. i watched as my other nephews and niece walked over to the girls. Zendaya grabbed Blakely, Tori picked up Ava, Camila grabbed Cameron, and Kehlani picked up Dylan.

"Normani, who's these two girls standing?" my mom asked, as i walked over to Dinah.

"family, i would like to introduce Dinah and Lauren."

"it's nice to meet you." they said, but i raised my hand to stop them from moving any closer.

"this beautiful woman standing beside me is my girlfriend." i said, taking Dinah's hand in mine.

i waited for a response and when i didn't, i got worried. i opened up my eyes to see my family with a straight face. no emotion, great.

"does she make you happy?" Arielle asked, as she held Keldyn in her arms.

"she makes me more than happy. you know i've never looked at another girl before until i ran into her at work. she literally didn't move. then we met again at the beach where i started to fall for her. i didn't know what to do with the feelings i had in the pit of my stomach. i've never been the relationship type but she's changing me. i want a future with her and i want to know that you guys are behind me 100%."

i watched as my dad came closer to me. i didn't know what he was going to say or what he was going to do but all i knew was that i was nervous. he always did when he was quiet.

"if she makes you happy, then we are too. that's all we want for you, Mani. for you to be happy whether it's with a girl or a boy. it doesn't matter to us because no matter what you have our support."

he pulled me into a hug and i began to cry. he was never the type to get really emotional with his words. he usually stayed silent for that but just hearing those words come out of his mouth made me happy. my mom and sisters ended up joining the group.

"it must be nice to have a family that supports you." Dinah said, as she slowly walked away.

i broke apart from my family hug and ran to her. i ran until i was in front of her. i held both of her arms and told her to look at me. when she did, i saw tears fall down and i pulled her into a hug.

"please stop crying. i don't want this to be sad because that family right there will become yours one day. i want a future with you, Dinah. i mean that. i don't want to be apart from you because that would break me. to have fallen for you, just for it to be ripped out of my heart. we're two very different people but we make it work. don't give up on this."