Chapter One

I was the good girl of the family. I was the trophy child you could say. The one your parents show off and the one your parents brag about.

My father, Edward Hall was the chief of police for Los Angeles. My mother, Samantha Seitz-Hall was your typical housewife and doting mother.

I may have grown up during the Great Depression but my family was well off. When I finished school, I wanted to be a nurse. My parents were thrilled with my decision and I graduated at the top of my class in 1940.

I also followed the family tradition of serving in the navy. My mother worried just like any other would.

"Samantha, you can't keep Rose locked up forever. I do feel like our "beloved" president is trying to get us involved in the war. Now Rose, a few rules and listen to your father."

"Stay safe, that is the most important. Number two, do not date marines. They are your servants."

I softly laughed at my father. "Dad, Grandpa was marine."

That's when my little brother Nicholas came and hugged me around my waist. He may have been six years younger than me but we were always close.

"Rose, someone needs to shake things up. I will be the marine in the family. I will go to the Naval Academy only to become a marine. I know Grandpa will be happy."

"Will the two of you quit picking on your old man?"

Mom smacked dad on the shoulder. "Edward, the Marines are not the servants of the Navy. Our son has his eyes in the Naval Academy. That should make you proud. So what if he chooses the Marines?"

"Is this pick on Edward day?"

"Yes"

Two days later I was sent to Pearl Harbor and we all know what happened there. I will be haunted for eternity with the images of all the wounded and dead.

Everyone in my family must have had heart attacks, not just for me but for every member of the military who was assigned to Pearl Harbor. It took two weeks but I was able to talk to my father to let him know I was as fine as can be expected. I failed to tell them a bullet grazed my leg.

In 1942; I would be at sea treating the injured, sick, and the dying. I was determined to see my country through this godforsaken war, but once it is over I am gone. I have seen too many images I wish I could erase from my mind.

The best news came in December of 1943. It would be the first Christmas I would be able to spend with my family in three years or so I thought.

On December 23rd, I was out at a nightclub with my friends. Emma Davis, my best friend had just gotten engaged and we were celebrating with her. When the club closed, Emma turned and asked me the last words I would hear from someone I love. "Rose, will you be my maid of honor?"

"You know I will. It will give us all something else to talk about than this damn war. I will see you at the party tomorrow night."

The house I grew up in was not far from the club so I walked home. It didn't seem like a big deal to walk home by myself, but I wished I had taken a cab home.

I was being stalked by a man and I quickened my pace. Get ahold of yourself Rose. You have never been a coward in the face of danger, don't you dare start now.

It was too late for me. The man grabbed me by the middle of my body and spun me around.

"Let me go!"

"Why would I do that Lt. Hall, especially where you are my mate."

The man is mentally ill. He needs to be in a hospital. "What do you want with me?"

"To make you mine."

Behind his glasses, his eyes turned ice blue. I was staring at a demon and when his sharp fangs emerged, I know he is a vampire.

The vampire was too strong for me and held me in a vice-like grip. He spoke into my neck. "It only hurts for a moment, my love. When you wake up, you will feel better. By the way, my name is Gabriel."

I felt pain in my neck that hurt worse than getting a shot. Soon I started feeling cold, groggy, and weak. He forced something into my mouth and made me swallow. I later knew it to be blood, his blood.

The last thing I saw was him standing over my body. "I will let your family say goodbye to you Rose since they will never see you again. You will see me soon."

Gabriel kissed me on my lips and I passed out. The next thing I remember is waking up in a casket wearing my dress uniform.

I escaped and I made a run for it. I never want to see that monster again. I found a cargo ship that was headed for Alaska. That is my ticket to freedom. That monster thinks I am his, he has another thing coming.