Chapter Twelve

Svetlana put my fears at ease. "No, you would have to be with him if he wanted the Obsidian Bank to make a marriage license. They require your signature.

Now he could have someone pose as you, but the bank has security precautions so no one could pose as you. It's their mate policy.

What they do is have the two of you prick your fingers and they drop Obsidian ink on the blood. If the blood gets absorbed, it means you are mates. It will work even if you are not claimed. Unfortunately, it would prove that you are mates because it is love at first sight for vampires.

Now if he has an imposter, her blood would run away from the ink and onto the table. He would face a fine that would in the millions. We vampires may be very rich but no one wants to pay a fine that like that. Let's get ready before my beloved brother starts whining about us taking forever to get ready.

Two hours later, Svetlana and I were dressed in our favorite dresses. Our hair and makeup were done to perfection. Pavel was still asleep.

"Svetlana, I believe he could have slept through both atomic bombs going off. I know the kitchen is not far from here. How would Pavel react if I put an ice cube down his shirt?"

"We may be from Russia, but neither of us is fans of the cold. Expect Pavel to jump and start swearing."

I went down to the halls to the kitchen and took an ice cube from the freezer. Pavel was still sleeping and I dropped the ice cube down his shirt. It had the desired effect.

"Rose, I know you conspired with Svetlana. The two of you are evil."

"Get ready Pavel, we need to be at the train station in an hour. You can catch up on your beauty sleep on the train. Come on Rose, we leave Pavel alone right now. We have been cruel enough."

Agatha saw them off. "Maybe you not being at the orphanage is for the best right now. I want to make sure my friend will be fine. Svetlana and Pavel have given me your itinerary. Father Hernando is having the city swept over for him. So, if we are able to find him shall I have him imprisoned here so you can decide his fate? He will have his soul, but the torment."

"Thank you, I would love to have some words with him if he is captured. Thank you for everything again Aggy. I think it is time for him to learn my nickname, you know the one Evelyn Davidson called me in the cafeteria that day. I believe it was the Wicked Bitch of Los Angeles."

I broke out with laughter that makes your face and ribs hurt. "Los Angeles, not exactly a cheap town to live in. I think some of it is because I was the police chief's daughter, honors student, field hockey star, and top scorer for the volleyball team."

"Evelyn was a scholarship student, did you know that? I know you were not a bully. Your only detention came from the Caroline Isaacs incident. Use your high school nickname to make him afraid. "

Not long after that, the three of us boarded a train to Milan and it was time for a little taunting. It is not for Svetlana or Pavel, but for Gabriel.

"I hope you were not planning on staying near Rome for long? I may be back in a decade or two. Naples is supposed to be nice this time of year. Svetlana said I should try the limoncello there. Even us Navy nurses love a good drink from time to time."

I was laughing but making sure Gabriel doesn't know that I am sending him on a wild goose chase.

"What did you do Rose?"

"I sent him south. While we will be in the north, he will be in Naples. Mentioned about trying limoncello and how us Navy nurses enjoy a good drink. I am not going down without a fight. Now tell me about shopping in Milan and what is poor Pavel supposed to do?"

"The shopping is wonderful. There is Paris, New York, London, and now let me introduce you to Italian fashion designers. There is the Onyx which caters to only vampires. A little makeover would not hurt.

Now don't worry about Pavel. He loves to sniff out all things military. He probably will be checking out some of the bookstores for rare finds since the man loves to read."

Okay Svetlana, I trust you. As long as Pavel has something to do, I am fine with it. Pavel may look the part of the tough military man, but he does love to read. He told me once that when he had a chance when he was out at sea, he would read.

Now came the fun part, waiting for Gabriel. I did not have to wait long.

"I know you are toying with me Rose, which is why I will not go there to look for you Rose. I know you are no longer calling Rome home right now.

Now, how does it feel to be away from me? Do you feel like something is missing Rose? Feel hollow yet? If you try to pick another male as a companion, it will not work out. The relationship will fizzle out before it begins.

Then there is the fact that you have to run every few years because of the humans becoming suspicious when they do not see you aging or why your nursing skills do not match those of a younger nurse.

You might as well go to medical school Rose. You are smart enough and more women are becoming doctors all of the time.

Do you think I will control you to point where you think you need my permission to blink your eyes? That is wrong Rose and as I said before, you will not be a caged butterfly.

As you know, I do not have a soul and I do not like humans. I would not hold you back from attending medical school. I am not as bad as you think I am. So, how did you like my little present last night?"

Ignore the first, but go after the nightmare.

"You did this to me? You are a monster, you are not capable of love. If you truly love someone, you do not give them nightmares for you to get what you want."

"Rose, I had to show you what will be. I am not giving up on you. You deserve better than having to pick up and having to move every few years. Rose, I fell in love you when I saw you buying popcorn to share with your friend to share in the movie theater. You squids are so thick headed, you never listen even when some tells you that they are madly in love with you."

Oh my god; I know Gabriel does not have a soul, but that sounds real. My father taught me how to spot someone's bull, it was to make sure I do not fall prey to some ladies man and having my heart broken.

"I am surprised a grunt knows how to string a sentence by himself. That is rare since you can not think for yourself."

I quickly locked him out. I need to know what the Eastern Orthodox has to say about vampires with souls and vampires without souls. Humans seek second opinions from doctors all of the time. I see this as my second opinion. I need this information to know how to proceed with a Gabriel. He has over a century on me and hopefully, I will know something he does not which will give him another setback.