Chapter 1

Red's POV:

     I had just gotten back to Pallet town after traveling all over the world. I decided I needed a break from adventuring and to stay the summer with my mom. I was actually quite bored from it. Yes, I was the champion of Kanto. But ever since Gold beat me at Mt. Silver, I haven't been at the top of my game. Pikachu could tell something was bothering me. I was honestly lonely. All I wanted was some human company. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my Pokémon. But human companionship just feels amazing.

     I woke up bright and early at 7:30 in the morning. I could smell my Mother's cooking right when I sat up. I took a quick shower and grabbed pikachu and raced him down the stairs. "Good morning, Red!" I gave my Mom a small smile and took a seat at the kitchen table. I'm not much of a talker. I usually would just nod, smile, or shrug to communicate. "Professor Oak is excited that you came back home. He asked to me to tell you to drop by the lab today if you have time." I nodded at my Mom as I stood up to wash my plate. I was about 13 the last time I saw him, I'm 16 now. Time sure does fly by. I wondered how his grandson Green had been. We used to be best friends when we were young until we went on our own adventures. I haven't seen him since I was 11. I missed him when I was traveling. But then again I missed everyone.

At about 12:00, I walked over to Professor Oak's lab to see what he wanted. I was happy to see him since I saw him as a father figure. I never met my Dad so I thought of Oak as the closest one to me. I walked up to the lab's door and knocked. I waited a few seconds until Daisy opened the door. I was greeted by a massive hug. "Oh Red you're finally home! You've grown up so much since I last saw you!" "It's good to see you too." I managed to get out even though I was suffocating. "Gramps is in the living room watching a Pokémon documentary. I'll take you to him!" Daisy said.

I followed Daisy through the long hallway that led to the living room. Even though it was a lab, Professor Oak preferred to live there than his actual house. "Red! It's been so long! How have you been?" Oak was smiling the biggest smile I had ever seen. I decided I should talk more than I usually did to not be rude. That's what Mom taught me when I was a kid. To always show respect, that meant I had to talk. "I've been great. I decided to stay home this summer from adventuring. I needed a break." I explained. "Well that's good. I've been watching over the Pokémon you've sent to me from all of the regions you've traveled. It's really helped my research!" Oak reached for a teacup and took a sip. I nodded and smiled at him and looked around the room. I noticed there were many pictures and me and Green when we were younger and good friends. "I invited you over here because I have a question to ask you." I rose my eyebrow and him. "I have some business to attend to in the Hoenn region and I need someone to watch over my lab in the Sinnoh region. I was going to ask Green, but he'll just get into trouble. I think it'll be best if you both do it." I just got home from traveling. I was unsure of leaving town again. "I'll think about it. I'll let you know my decision in the morning." I said. I left the lab right after to return to my house. I explained to my Mom what Professor Oak had asked me and she told me I should do it. I wondered what Green thought about this.