Mission 16: Apology Cupcakes

Later that day, Stiles met up with the local pack. Everything went smoothly. It might have something to do with the fact that he confessed he was living at the Avenger Tower. He still couldn't flat out lie to werewolves. Natasha would be so disappointed with him. But he was not on her caliber. He was just an amateur, okay? He might never be able to lie as good as her.

The pack had graciously given them pass to their territory. It wasn't uncommon for other werewolves to thread on other's territory. They were still humans after all. It is a specific distinction that separates them from beasts. It's not uncommon for foreign wolves to stay in or live in a Pack Land.

There was a tense moment after they mentioned where they came from. Turns out they knew about Derek and Laura. They both stayed in New York for most of their years away from Beacon Hills. They knew of Laura's death but they did not push for details. Something about pack dealing with their own business.

It came as a surprise to them to hear that Stiles and Jackson were a stable pack. It would have been easier to assimilate if they were soulmates. But then, they wouldn't be here in this mess if it were true.

"Gross!" Stiles said then quickly backtracked when he realized he might have insulted someone.

"It's completely unheard of. This situation of yours. But any wolf can see how strong your bonds are." Caden, the alpha of the local pack said. The man offered for alliance but Stiles declined. He was already part of a team. But he did offer his help if they ever needed it.

"It was a good talk." Stiles surmised when they were out of werewolf earshot. There were heading back to the tower.

"Well you didn't die, so there's that." Clint Hawkeye (he was in his suit) commented when he stepped out of a shadowy alley.

"JESUS CHRIST!" Stiles shouted. Clint snickered. "What the hell are you doing here?"

"You two left without telling anyone where you're going." Clint stated seriously.

"We were just going for a talk you know. We handled it. We really don't need babysitting."

"You don't have the best track record with werewolves." Clint argued.

"We were under a very stressful track of circumstances. It was bound to be not best."

"Still, you are part of a team now. You should have at least told us you were leaving, instead of trying to sneak away."

"I've got Jackson. We could totally handle it."

"In a very slim blind chance. But hey, I'm not really the man you'll have to explain that too." Clint shrugged nonchalantly.

Stiles gasped, horrified. "Oh god, Uncle Phil will totally ground me."

Hawkeye scoffed with a mix of mischief and pity. "Just don't say I didn't warn you." He said before he slipped through another alley and disappeared from their view. Jackson could still hear him in the distance, just far away from them to keep an eye. Stiles stared at the darkness puzzled with his reaction.

It wasn't later that Stiles finally understood what Clint was referring to. Nobody tipped him on how it would feel to stand under the disappointed eyes of Captain America. It makes you want to apologize for every bad deed (even every bad thoughts) you ever had in your worthless, deplorable life. Steve's eyes were hard and cold. Stiles had never felt more regretful in his whole damned life.

"I'M SORRY!" Stiles squeaked guiltily. Stiles flinched at his high pitched apology. Steve held up his hand. Sties clammed his mouth shut.

"I assume you have your own reasons for leaving without telling us. I know that you don't trust us-"