Mission 24: Smoke and Ashes

A/N: Kind of a filler but not. It's heavily linked on the second book. But I felt obliged to write this to do justice for ever having the guts to bring Jordan here in this fic.

"Are you ready?" Stiles asked. They were at the doorstep of Harry's Antique shop. Stiles had decided to go alone with Jordan. That decision was met with negative outrage. Everyone wanted to accompany him. Or at least one of them. Jackson was furious. Stiles tried to console him with promise of treats but that did not stop the werewolf from pouting until he left.

It took a bit of convincing to let him go alone. He even mentioned that it was SHIELD agent that he was helping to placate them.

But still, he could sense Jackson and Clint trying to follow him as overtly as they can. They can't really disappear because of the pack bond. It lets him constantly know whenever they are close. He can also use it to trace them.

What surprised Stiles was the third person following him. It was Steve. Steve trusted him with his abilities now. Ever since his first official mission, the man had come to see him on equal footing. Less of a trainee more of a comrade. So why was he tailing him too? Stiles heart skipped a beat at the question.

Jordan huffed impatiently but his eyes were shifting nervously. "Let's get this over." The agent said with finality.

Stiles nodded. He opened the door and they went inside the antique shop. Harry was at the counter holding a book but he was looking at them when they came in.

Harry jumped over the counter. They greeted each other.

"Hey, man. This is Jordan Parrish. The guy I asked you for help. Jordan, this is Harry Dresden." Stiles explained.

They shook hands. Harry make a surprised note. "Nice to meet you."

"I hope you'll know what I am."

"I'll do my best. Follow me." They were led at back of the shop. Harry did some test. He took some blood.

"Stiles could you help set up some protective wards. This is just in case something bad comes into the picture." Jordan nodded.

Stiles claps his hands together and started infusing magic between his palms. He separated his hands and light shines upon the room. The walls glowed blue at first and dimmed back to normal. But Stiles could feel his magic on the walls.

Harry looked at him like he had grown another head. Stiles panicked. "What? What did I do wrong?"

"That's the Shield of Seraphim. Or at least felt like it. But you did it without invoking, not even an incantation." Harry was impressed. "This is above what you should be able to do."

Stiles was confused because he knew what Harry was talking. To be able to cast that spell, you need to have a contract with Seraphim or in the least have a magical relic of him. "But it's not the Shield of Seraphim. I can't invoke him. I don't have a contract with him. I just casted standard protection spell against evil."

Harry nodded at Stiles' explanation, seemingly convinced. "You and I have something important to discuss. Later. Right now, let's focus on this problem." Harry turned back to Jordan. "Jordan, if you could tell us anything that may of help to us. Anything out of ordinary that you can remember."

Jordan's brows furrowed as he tried to recall the weird things that had happened to him. "Well... I've been having these black outs. It doesn't happen often. Probably 3 to 6 months apart. I always wake up to the smell of smoke and ashes."

Stiles looked at Harry who has a hand rubbing his chin. "I could think of several creatures that fit that description... Do you know when this started? When was the first black out you have?"