Chapter 6

Alice

            I walked towards my mom hiding my bloody hand that has a bullet hole in it.
             Without even looking at her I could tell she was watching both Josh and me.
             "Honey, why didn't you tell him earlier," my mom asked me.
              "I was distracted with a big pond creature that was about to kill my boss," I said with enough attitude that my mom should be mad at me, but she wasn't.
            My mom looked at me and saw me covering up my hand. "let me see it."
           "No, I'm going back to tell the council."
            "They already know and they are quite mad at how James is the new death. They out him here not because they thought he wouldn't belong but because he was going to be a really powerful person when he became death, they wanted to hollow him out a bit. They didn't know that you have the same personality as him, so be careful revealing you," my mom advised.
           I always hated when my mom brought up how similar james and I are. "Mom, we are different. You always say we are almost the same person but we aren't. He laughs at me when I am tense and when he is tense I am always there doing the opposite because even though I hate his guts I am humane. We might have some things in common but when it comes down to it I am the brains and he is nothing but brawn, wouldn't you agree? I can't fight him because he will kill me. I can't yell at him and reason because he can kill me. I tried doing my job and he shot me when he was supposed to be doing his."
               My mom looked over to Josh who was obviously listening even though he was looking in the water. "Josh, come here an apologise," my mom ordered.
                 "I don't need an apology," I told her. 
              I looked through my book bag and found my hood. I out it on and started walking to find the portal.
            "Alice come here," my mom said but I kept walking.
            "Josh stay here and wait until their council is done being horrible people before going back," my mom ordered.
             "Yes ma'am," he replied.
             "Thank goodness someone still listens to me," my mom said quietly except she forgot that I can hear every word she says.
                "I heard that," I yelled to her.
                 "Then come back."
               "Fine." I walked back still hiding my hand.
               When I got back to them Josh's gold aura was gone thankfully.
              "What," I asked.
               My mom gave me a look telling me I should know very well what she was going to say.
              I looked down at my hands and both of them were covered in blood. My right one was the source and it had a hole between where my thumb and index finger's bones connected. Looking at it made me dizzy since I couldn't move that hand either.  I moved it out to show them.
             "Alice, I'm sorry," josh said.
            I blinked. "So now you say sorry? After every punch, every fight, every single word you have said against me, you say sorry. I eventually say sorry for every thing I have done but not once before now have I ever gotten a sorry. Its always another mean word, another punch, another strangle, and then I died because of it all. Thanks to this afterlife thing I still have to live it. I knew you were dead and you thought I was still alive sending me these text messages. Until you found out I was dead a year or two ago. I never had the guts to tell anyone that I was broken down and trying to hide it by doing everything you did to me back. You are just some fool that has too much glory and still wants to take everyone else's. My brother was the one who shot you right?" Josh nodded still backing away as I was yelling in his face. "He had enough of me sitting in my room crying all stinking night and not talking to anyone about it.  My mom only knew because you stopped when she was around. She thinks we were always nice to each other. She knows we aren't so stop trying to convince her or anyone else. Your own cousin didn't know what to think when we do our stupid little 'we have the same birthday, same everything gag that we did in elementary school. And you know what, the only thing that ever distracted me so much was when you sent me this little text about how my brother was the only one who ever really cared about me. Have you forgot that he used to be on your side until you found out it was my brother.  He was about to take his gun to school and rampage it until you came out but no I had to tell him that you are done with your stupid football practice at 5 o'clock because even though there are more bullies in that school you just happened to be his favorite. I didn't ever know exactly what he was doing so you can't blame me." I was yelling and I am pretty sure there were tears on my face.
            I turned around facing my mom and looked at my hand that was bleeding more and more as blood was sent down to my hand. Blood was all over the grass I walked on. My whole arm was covered in it. 
            I felt my mom walk behind me as my eyes got heavy and I sat down.
           "You should've said nothing," my mom mentioned to Josh as I went unconscious.