Chapter 5

Please leave a vote or a comment if you enjoy this part! Hearing from you guys makes my day! Thank you ^.^

My feet took me to my destination before I was able to process what I'd overheard

She was going to leave. For weeks I'd been pushing for her to go, to continue living her life. To do something she loves. But she would never listen.

Now, after the wedding, after enduring Silver's nighttime activities every night since, I needed her as much as I needed air or water. Even seeing her for a few seconds each day was enough. If I had that to look forward to, to think about while Silver used me, I could get through the day.

When she left, that would be gone.

But it wasn't my place to keep her here. She wasn't happy. I just—wanted her to be happy.

My feet took me faster and faster across the grounds, through the castle.

I knew exactly where I was going. What I was going to do. Going to say.

I strode up to giant marble doors and pushed them open before I could think twice.

The Royal Court was in the midst of a heated discussion when I breezed in. Men in the ridiculous outfits favored by nobles sat around a circular table of mahogany, feasting on roasted pig and waving their fists until they were red in the face. They fell silent when I entered, their eyes glued to the golden crown atop my head. No one was used to that yet--myself included.

"My apologies for interrupting," I said. I didn't mean it. There was no need for me to apologize; I was the king.

"Apology accepted, of course, Your Majesty," the leader of the Court, a scrawny man with a tangled black beard said, rising from his chair at the head of the table. I should've remembered his name--or at least the name of one of these people--but I couldn't. I didn't care, either. "What is it you need?"

"I've decided to take a trip to the Northern Kingdom," I announced. "I won't be gone more than a month.

The Court exchanged uncomfortable glances with one another, and a few cleared their throats.

The first man spoke again. "You were just married, Your Highness. You have an entire kingdom to look after now. And you want to 'take a trip?'" He shook his head and I scowled at him. "Her Majesty won't like it."

"I'll speak to her tonight," I promised, although my hands curled into fists at my sides at the thought of spending another second with her, alone, in that room--

I pushed the feeling of the luxurious bedsheets against my skin from my mind, the swirled pattern painted on the ceiling that I studied so closely each night while she--

"When were you planning to leave?"

I stared at him in silence for several seconds before I was able to pull myself back into the real world. "Tomorrow morning."