Chapter 1 : Seeing Olivia

Mason's POV: 

I tiptoe through the small apartment I reside in, trying to create as little noise as I can as to not disturb my mother's sleep. I leap over a pile of clothes on the floor and old pizza boxes, scurrying around quickly in search of my book bag. 

I finally find it under my bed, God knows how it got there, and grab my keys and head to the front door.

As I am almost out the door, a brittle voice calls my name, followed by soft coughing. I quickly set down my bags and rush over to her room, practically leaping over furniture to get there. 

When I enter the threshold of her room, I try to hold in the tears, just like every time I see her. Her once beautifully long blonde hair is missing, leaving a bald scalp in its place. Her bright blue eyes are considerably duller, almost gray. Her pale arms reach out to me as she tries to form a smile on her face. 

I choke a sob and rush over to the side of her bed. "Sorry mom, I didn't want to wake you. You need the sleep." 

She slightly shook her head and grabbed my large hand in her own. "Don't worry Mason, I was already awake. You didn't think you could escape without saying goodbye to your old mom, did you?" She lightly punched my arm with her hand, trying to lighten the mood. 

I smiled despite myself, "You need the sleep. Why are you even awake at six in the morning?" I question disapprovingly. 

"I could be asking you the same thing." She threw me a scolding look, but it was too weak to scare me. "You always leave so early in the morning and come back just a few minutes before curfew. I might be sick, but I'm not blind, young man!" She exclaimed and started to laugh. 

I chuckled slightly, happy to see a smile on her usually pained face. "I have a lot of schoolwork. I better go now so I have time to finish it!" I kissed her cheek before standing up, releasing her hand from mine. "Oh and please, go back to sleep."

She shook her head, a slight smile on her face, "Whatever makes you happy son." She flipped over and closed her eyes, resting her head back on her pillow. 

I softly shut the door before grabbing my guitar case and heading out, trying to prevent the tears from slipping down my cheek. 

--------

I place the guitar case on the floor once I get to my usual spot and prop it open, taking my guitar out and placing some bills in it to start people off. 

It's only 6:30 in the morning and so many people are already getting on the subways to go to work. By now, I have learned the daily routine of almost everyone here. The crowd usually starts forming around 7 or 7:30, but I like to get here early to warm up a little. 

I play a few notes, tuning the guitar to get the perfect sound. I start off by playing a simple song I had heard the other day on the radio. A few people walk by and drop some bills in, to which I smile gratefully at. About half an hour later, the subway is bustling with people and I really start to play. 

My fingers strum the guitar lightly, the feeling natural to my hands. The notes carry along the subways, silencing conversations as people stop to listen. I can hear the song echoing off the wall and I see the amazement in the crowd's eyes. 

I knew I was good, but every time I played, I would still be shocked at the pure awe in their faces. 

I continue playing, the crowd growing and growing and the stack of money in my case is almost overflowing. 

For a split second, I glance up at the audience and see that nobody is even walking anymore. They are all standing listening to a high school boy play his heart out on an old guitar. 

I smile at the effect I seem to have on everybody until movement catches my eye. I look over and see a head of blonde weaving through the crowds. 

I start to play a more complicated and beautiful tune to try to get her to stop, but it's like she doesn't even notice. I try to look away, but I can't. Her beautiful blonde hair flows behind her as she quickly walks towards the stairs leading up to the street. Her skin is like porcelain. Everything about her is perfect, and all I want to do is throw my guitar down and catch up to her to beg her to listen to me. 

Before I even have the chance, she disappears up the stairs. I quickly finish out the song and smile as the audience applauds me. I collect my money and shove it in my pocket before grabbing my guitar case and running to where the girl disappeared. 

As soon as I make it up to the street, I am surrounded by people walking every which way. I look over everyone's heads, trying to catch a glimpse of blonde, but there are too many people. 

I sigh and walk back down the stairs, getting on the subway to go to school.