Chapter 10: Brilliant.

Mason's POV:

Ever since I saw Olivia in the restaurant a few nights ago, I haven't been able to stop thinking about her.

How could I not have realized she was deaf?

God, I'm so slow sometimes.

But, more importantly, how could the teachers not realize? I mean, they must not know because they jump at her like sharks every single class period.

I need to do something. Anything that can help her.

As I walk through the halls of school, too occupied with my Olivia-filled train of thought, I run straight into someone.

Startled out of my daze, I see two bright green eyes staring at me nervously. Why is it that every time I see her I almost knock her over due to my obliviousness?

Which is also caused by her.

I immediately stumble to apologize, but pause mid-sentence.

You can't say you're sorry to her because she can't hear you. Crap, okay. 3rd grade, we learned how to sign thank you and sorry. Brain, please help me out here!

Before I knew what I was doing, I gave Olivia an embarrassed smile and moved around her quickly, practically sprinting down the hall. About halfway down the corridor, I finally realize what I have done.

Okay, what the hell, Mason?? You wanted to be her friend and help her out and you think running the fuck away from her is the best solution??

Brilliant.

————

Sitting in class an hour later, I'm struggling not to turn around and stare at Olivia. I wanted to apologize for this morning and explain that I'm not an idiot, but she just makes me so nervous sometimes.

I want to tell her so much, but I need to learn how to sign first. Just the basics, at least. I saw how hard it was for her to keep up with my stupid rambling that time in the subway. Learning to sign is the first step to, maybe starting a friendship, or at least getting to know her better. And I just don't want to scare her anymore.

"Olivia, I bet if you focused in class as much as you did on that book, your grades would improve immensely," our science teacher narrowed his eyes as a few of the students chuckled at her.

Silence.

Shit, shit, shit. Do something Mason!! Start by helping her now!

"Mr. McDonald!!" I waved my hand in the air frantically, trying to catch his attention, but to no avail. His eyes could practically shoot lasers out of them by the sheer intensity with which he was glaring at Olivia.

"Olivia!! What is wrong with you? Pay attention!" Mr. McDonald snapped as his face grew red.

Finally, Olivia's face scrunched slightly before she glanced up and saw everyone staring at her. The terror returned to her face as the teacher continued to yell at her.

You know what. That's it.

"Stop!" I yelled, slamming my hands on the desk, immediately catching everyone's attention. I could hear Olivia sigh in relief behind me.

"Excuse me, Mason. I don't believe this has anything to do with you. It's your girlfriend who is throwing her education away to read some book instead of learning the mysteries of science!" Mr. McDonald retorted.

"Okay, first of all, nobody gives two shits about science." I snapped back. I've never talked back to a teacher in four years of high school, or honestly, in all the years I have been in school. So I don't know what exactly came over me. "And I think if you spent more time making your lessons exciting instead of attacking your students then they wouldn't be falling asleep with boredom." I pointed to the opposite side of the room where a girls drool was sliding off the table as she was slumped on top of it.

"That's it!" the teacher screamed. He pointed his hairy arm towards the door, motioning for me to exit.

"Gladly." I stood up, knowing everyone's eyes were on me. I never liked being the center of attention, I hated it honestly, but it was better me than her.

I glanced quickly at Olivia who was frozen in shock, but wore a relieved, but slightly confused expression on her face.

Before I exited the door, I walked over to Mr. McDonald and whispered in his ear, "She's deaf, you shithole. Maybe try learning how to speak to her instead of embarrassing her in front of everyone."

Without another word I exited the room, the teacher's surprised face being the last thing I saw.

———

"This is your first offense, ever really, so we're going to let you off with lunch detentions for the rest of the week," Principal Holiday shook her head slightly, "But I like you Mason. You've always been a great student and I'm not going to let you standing up for a fellow peer affect your future, so this will not go on your record."

I sigh in relief, "Thank you so much, Mrs. Holiday."

"No, thank you, Mason. The past principal failed to inform us about Olivia. I'm glad you were able to bring this to light. Things will start looking up for her soon. All thanks to you." She smiled at me graciously, but I could see a hint of guilt in her face. "Although, I don't suggest yelling at a teacher to get this change made, I still admire your courage."

I simply smiled back, too tired to argue as I was completely exhausted from today's ordeal.

"Now, stay here for a moment while I go fill out some paper work. I have to at least pretend you will be severely penalized for this or else I'll never hear the end of it." She chuckled slightly before exiting the office, allowing me to be alone with my thoughts.

The bell ringing and the chatter of students erupted around me, overwhelming the silence that was present a few moments ago.

Something Olivia would never experience.

I stared wistfully at the students exiting the school, wishing I could skip alongside them, only to see a head of gold weave through the crowd.

I was too busy worrying about apologizing to her that I didn't see how beautiful she looked today.

I mean she looks beautiful everyday, but wow.

Possibly feeling the heat of my gaze on her, she turns and looks at me, her cheeks reddening slightly.

A big smile lights up my face immediately and I wave at her animatedly.

Her blush deepens as a small smile twitches on her face and she waves back timidly before turning around and disappearing into the crowd.

I'm going to make this work, I have to.