Chapter 32.1: 1994, Ruiz

A kiss on my forehead.

"Merry Christmas Eve, my Ruiz."

It was a beautiful voice. My Mama's voice. My eyes opened to my Mama's smile. Her dark brown hair was in her customary high ponytail in a salmon pink scrunchie and as she removed the blanket from my body, I saw her nails matched.

I stretched. "Merry Christmas Eve, Mama," I yawned.

"Get up, I have a present for you." She seemed excited.

"Oh, but Mama, don't you want to wait until tonight? Don't we give our special gifts at midnight?" I asked, wiping my eyes with my fingers.

"I'm too old for that now," she waved away like my question was ridiculous. But I knew she wasn't being mean. She just wanted to give me my present now. It must have been very good. "Come on, in the kitchen," she smiled, pulling my hand with her strong arms.

"I gotta put on my clothes, change out of my pajamas. The sweater Grandma gave me," I protested, looking towards my gaping closet. The white crocheted sleeve of the bolero Miss Cha Cha had given to me on the seventh of December, a special Colombian holiday for her, was peeking out on a hanger and I hoped my Mama didn't notice. A small bead of worry descended into my heart, but I tried to shake it away as I wiggled my body awake, getting up with my Mama's pull.

I followed her into the hallway and Zorro started yapping, glad to see me. "Zorro, don't make me trip," I warned him as he twirled around our ankles. 

"Sit here," Mama ordered me, pointing to my favorite chair at the kitchen table. 

"Okay, Mama," I said, obeying. I watched her disappear into her bedroom, saw her scurrying about in there through the doorway. Finally, she appeared, carrying a bright red box with a large green and gold bow.

"Here," she said proudly, sitting across from me and presenting me with the box.

Automatically, I knew it had to be clothes. She was trying to give me something she was excited about so I should be grateful. But I knew it must be some kind of clothes for a man. Maybe a jacket, judging from the size and weight of the box. I felt dread. 

My hands descended to the gift, but I breathed out, my hands passing the box and landing on the table softly. I looked down at them. My fingernails were still painted blue with silver snowflakes from Club Her Majesty's Annual Christmas Eleganza Extravaganza Ball. 

"What is wrong?" Mama asked, causing me to look up at her. She was still smiling. It only caused me to feel more guilty. 

"Mama..." I sighed.

"Hm?" she said, starting to finger one of the bow's tails. 

"Nothing," I said quickly, starting to blush. I took the green ribbon tail from her and grabbed the other one, pulling them to untie the bow. My breath was caught, but it was better than me being caught. My brain was a volcano of panic, causing my hands to sweat. Had I really almost told her I didn't want men's clothes? How ungrateful could I be as her son? But how was she supposed to know...I was her daughter?

With the bow off, I was left with the red box. It had no wrapping paper, cluing me in that it was from a clothing store. I knew enough about clothes to know. Inside, I sighed deeply, promising myself I'd wear whatever was in there. It didn't matter, I told myself, she's my Mama. She bought me this out of love. She wants me to wear it because she thinks I'll look good in it.

Something inside wished it could be a dress still. It knew it was an impossibility, but it wished with all of itself. 

Maybe if I wished enough...a Christmas wish...