Chapter 17 (unedited)

"What do you mean?" Hades voice didn't sound the happiest. But I need to know where he stood with her.

I looked down at the ground. I wasn't sure what I meant. "What do you feel for her? Are you still heartbroken that she left? I just- I feel like I need reassurance." Yes. I was definitely not confident right now. Could you blame me?

Hades looked at me in thought. He seemed angry by my question, but I wasn't sure. "Look, Camry. I will always love Persephone. She was a part of my history. But I don't love her like I love you. I'm in love with you- not her." I was silent. Did I believe him? I should, why would I not? I nodded my head to him. I believed him. I would feel bad if I didn't and he was really telling the truth.

"I'm sorry for asking you that way. I just feel like I have to.... like I need to know." Hades was silent. Hades was always the reserved type. Just sitting and listening, not really talking.

He cut me off, his voice rough and cold. "Listen, Camry. You don't have anything to worry about. It's not like she's here with me." His reply did less to reassure me. I felt like maybe he still liked her. I know he said he didn't, but it sure sounded like it.

"Yeah, okay. Right." My words were stuttered. My brain just wouldn't work. I couldn't think of anything to say to him. It was awkward. I sat there. Not saying anything but looking at the mug in my hand. I took a sip and let the hot chocolate slip down my throat. I swallowed with a gulp nervously. Hades was the one who broke the silence.

"So... the job at the Underworld is pretty simple. We get records of who dies and when and where it happened. Also we get records of how it happened. Usually there are about 150,000 deaths each day. Our job is to sort where the souls of the dead are placed. It's usually behind the computer work, but it's an easy job, besides the fact that it takes a long time to finish. Actually, I have never truly finished because so many people die. It's always an overload. That's why I need your help. It would get done much faster." I sat in shock and listened to him explaining what my job would be. I thought it would be harder, but this sounded really easy.

"So, I just place souls where they have to go?"

Hades nodded his head and continued. "For the most part. But, you still need a lot of training so you understand where to place the souls. Sometimes the souls won't want to go where you place them, so you have to force them to go. I would be the one doing that. I don't want you to get hurt." Okay. Swoon.

"Well, that sounds easy enough. You always made it sound so difficult." Hades gave me a nervous smile.

5 Hours Later:

"THIS DOESN'T MAKE ANY FREAKING SENSE!"

I was currently in the Underworld sitting at my desk next to Hades one. He was trying to explain to me how to do my job, but, as you can tell, I wasn't listening very well. I had a very good reason for not listening. I was scared. In less then two hours I will be on my way to saying goodbye to my Nana and Naomi. I felt like all hope was lost. I had to say goodbye to two people for the rest of their lives. Cause we all know I will soon be immortal. I don't even know how I feel about being immortal. I have always wanted to grow old and die, but now it's obvious that could never happen.

"Princess. I have explained this five times. All you have to do is read what the screen says and click where the souls have to be sent. It's really not that hard." I sighed.

"I know. I know. I just- I'm just nervous." Looking at my face, I'm sure Hades realized what I was nervous about because he sighed and pulled me onto his lap.

"I'm sorry that you have to do this. And I'm sorry that this is hurting you. But, right now your family is probably wondering where you are. They probably think you were kidnapped or something. Wouldn't you want them to at least know you're not dead?" Hades was right. They deserved to know that I was okay. I nodded my head and rested it on his chest. I listened to the sound of his heart beating as my eyes closed and I slowly began to fall asleep.

It was time. I was sitting in the carriage in between Hera and Hades. My stomach was in a bundle of nerves and my hands were racking up sweat. I didn't even know what to say to Nana and Naomi. 'Oh hey guys, don't worry about me. I'll just be living in the Underworld and sentencing dead people to there prison.' 'Cause that won't freak them out.

My body bounced as the carriage continued down the path. Soon I would be placed in a car and taken to my house. I would say goodbye to Nana and then head over to Naomi. And then I would go back to the Underworld.

The carriage soon stopped and I was forced to get in the black car the was parked right next to a tree. Hera drove us through the streets of Los Angeles, California and I suddenly felt alone in this big world. There was no way I would make it threw this, even though I knew I had too. The car stopped and I looked out my window to see the two-story house in it's full glory. The old brick house looked exactly like it was before I left. The grass was done, thanks to John the land keeper. The bushes around the front were trimmed nicely and the porch was swept perfectly.

I gave a big sigh and stepped out of the car. My heart thumped in my chest as I walked towards the house. I felt a hand slip into mine and I clenched it back tightly. My mom had told me she would wait in the car. Hades was going to wait in the car too, but I didn't want to do this alone.

Standing in front of the door gave me another feeling of nerves. What was she going to say? Would she demand me to tell her what's going on? Would she cry? I don't think I would be able to handle watching her cry. My hand reached out and I took a big breath before I banged my fist on the door. You always had to knock louder on the door for Nana to hear it.

I heard the sound of footfall and I tightened my hand in Hades. I saw the door knob jiggling and then the door was opened. But it wasn't my Nana who was standing there. No, it was a young man and women. They both looked to be in their early twenties.

"Hello," The young women said. "How can we help you?" I was dumbstruck. Who were these people?

"I'm looking for my grandmother Mary. Is she here?" Knots were twisted into my stomach. Something wasn't right.

The young women's face fell. "Was she the women who lived here before us?" I nodded my head. I didn't trust myself to speak. "I'm sorry dear, but didn't you know she died a few weeks ago?" My heart stopped. My Nana died a few weeks ago? How long was I in Greece? How could she be dead? My eyes watered and my heart clenched for her. No, no, no, no. This couldn't be happening. My legs gave way and I crashed onto the freshly painted porch. I dropped Hades hand and folded into myself. I cried as I took in the situation. My Nana was dead and I never even had the chance to say goodbye.

I heard Hades tell the couple, "Thank you for your time." And then felt his arms wrap around me as he lifted me up and began walking to the car. And all I did was cry and cry and cry.

She was dead.

My Nana is dead

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N~ ahhhhhh! Yes I FINALLY uploaded another chapter. I am super sorry for the wait. The reason I could upload was because I wasn't able to write do to a concussion. But, I am all good now and can go back to writing. This chapter was a little longer then usual because of my lack of writing. I have reached 100 pages in this book and I am beyond happy. This book might have around 40 chapter because I want this book to be at least 200 something pages long. I still have a lot planned so the plot is definitely going to thicken soon. Any way I'll try to update again soon.

Enjoy! xx