new york eyes 1

hi im having a bad day here you go

patrick

my mother is a loud mouth, just saying before I go on.

"patrick!" she yells up the stairs to me. "come down, please!"

I get off my new bed and head down the stairs. "yes ma'am?"

she smiles at me and motions for me to follow her. "our new neighbors came by to say hello," she says.

"don't tell them about the tumor," I beg and she nods as we get to the door.

she opens it and we're met by a dark skinned woman, a boy about my age and a man who looks like the boy so I assume its his father.

"hello!" the woman beams. the boy looks like he wished he could be anywhere but here. I have to agree with him on that. "I'm dale. this is my husband peter, and our son, pete."

"hello, dale, peter, and pete!" mom laughs. "I'm patricia. this is my son patrick."

I give a small wave and hide behind my mom a little. dale smiles warmly at me and I smile back a little.

the boy, pete, stares at me with an unreadable expression and I stare back.

"have you been around glenbrook before?" peter asks.

"no, we haven't, actually. I, uh.. I just divorced and we moved here... away from the memories. we wanted to come where we knew no one and no one knew us," mom answers.

"ah, understandable," peter replied. "pete could show patrick around later. show him the school and all."

I feel myself blushing and I look over to see pete blushing too.

"oh that would be wonderful!" mom explains and I bury my face in her shoulder. she chuckles and ruffles my hair.

"moooom," I whine. dale laughs along with my mom and I feel myself blushing so hard.

"alright. I guess we'll be g- oh! would you two like to join us for dinner this evening?"

"oh, that would be lovely! we should exchange phone numbers. why don't you come in? patrick, you can show pete your room," mom suggests and I nod.

"follow me," I say quietly and lead him up to my room.

pete follows behind me quietly and I leave the door open behind us. I sit down and pat the spot next to me on the bed. he sits and I stare at my feet. what should I say?

"I like your hair."

I look up. "t-thanks. yours is pretty cool with the," I pause and swipe a hand across my forehead like his fringe. "with the swish."

he laughs. he's pretty when he laughs. his eyes crinkle and they shine.

"thank you. I didn't know it was called a," he mimics the motion I made, "a swish."

I blush again. "i didn't either."

I tap my knee nervously and bite my lip. what else should I say? you're pretty hot? i'm gay, how about you? or maybe even, i'm dying, nice knowing ya!

I sigh inaudibly at myself and lean back on my ed.

"what's your favorite color?" I ask , looking up at him.

"hm. blue, I think. like.. a sky blue. maybe light pastel-ish blue? i dunno, I like blue," he shrugs.

I laugh. "I like the color orange."

"nice."

I shrug as I hear footstapproaching my room. "patrick," mom peeps her head into the room. "pete has to leave now."

pete stands up and I sit up as he starts walking away.

"oh, wait," he turns around. "do you have a phone?"

"yeah.." I say and he holds out his hand. I give him my phone and he starts typing in it. I don't have a lock on it.

"that's my number. text me later," he suggests and I nod.

mom winks at me and walks him out and comes back in my room once he leaves.

she sits down beside me and runs a hand through my hair. "how're you feeling, baby?"

"like I'm going to throw up. the usual. my head hurts worse though," I reply.

she frowns and pulls me up into a hug.

I sigh and bury my face into her neck. she gives the best hugs. they always make me feel better.

if only they'd take my tumor away.

"I just gotta keep on keeping on," I say. "even with the feeling I'm gonna keep losing."

"you'll come back strong," mom finishes.