Chapter 12 (Tragedy)

Chapter 12

Tragedy

I woke up to the smell of pancakes. Marco was already up cooking breakfast. He may have a bum arm at the moment, but it doesn't slow him down. I got up and went downstairs. The smell got stronger and stronger as I got closer. I walked in the kitchen and found the kids helping Marco make breakfast. The kitchen was a mess with water, flour, and batter everywhere. The kids each had flour on their faces.

"Morning mommy." Bella greeted.

"Morning everyone." I said.

Marco turned to me and gave me a smile. "Can I flip this one daddy?" Bella asked.

"Yeah." Marco helped Bella flip the pancake.

I walked into the kitchen and sat at the kitchen table. Jason bounced over to me and sat down beside me.

"Mommy, after your appointment, can we go to the zoo?" He asked me. I then remembered the ultrasound appointment had this afternoon.

"We'll try to go."
We all sat down and ate breakfast. It turned out good, but there's still the mess to clean up.

"How's your arm today?" I asked Marco. His arm just gout out of the sling even though it's only been three weeks.

"It's alright. I can barely feel any pain now."
"That's good."

"Will we find out what the baby is today?" Jason asked.

"No. We still have a long time before that." I explained.

We all got dressed and I took the kids to the park. Luckily some of their friends were here to play with. Marco and I sat in the grass nearby and watched the kids play with their friends on the playground.

"Can you believe that the twins will be 8 in just three months?" Marco asked me.

"I know. They're growing up way too fast. And soon they'll be in the third grade. Everything is moving too fast. I fee like we don't have enough time with them."
"And in 8 more months we'll have another to watch grow up." Marco placed a hand on my stomach.

"I never expected my life to be like this. I pictured myself falling in love with someone who's far different from you. But I'm glad my life took this turn and I ended up with you."

"I'm glad you ended up with me too. Was your ideal guy someone like James or Justin?"

"James, no. Justin, yes. Too bad they all turned out bad in the end. That led me back to you so I guess that was a sign that we're meant for each other."

"I'm just glad you were led back to me." He leaned in and gave me a small kiss.

"I am too, because my life is perfect. I couldn't ask for better."

Crying interrupted Marco and my moment. I looked over to see Bella sitting under the monkey bars holding onto her arm. Marco and I got up and rushed over to her.

"Did you fall?" I asked her.

"Yes." She said in-between sniffles. "My arm really hurts." I gently took her arm and moved it slightly. She screamed out in pain. It's definitely broken.

"Let's take you to the hospital."

Once to the hospital, they took her back and examined her arm. The rest of us waited in the waiting room for her to come back.

"Is Bella going to be okay?" Noah asked me.

"Yeah, she'll be fine." Marco answered.

"Are we still going to the zoo?" Jason asked.