Chapter 11

A/N: SOrry, sorry, sorry! This should have been up and Saturday, but to make it up to you guys, I'll update again tomorrow, plus you are all gonna really like this chapter if that at all makes up for such a late update :P

Chapter 11:

I've never seen Kirstie bite her nails, but that is exactly what she's doing, chewing on one hand and keeping mine in a death grip in the other. She's sitting on the edge of her seat staring at the doorway I assume they must have taken Marcia through.
     "Work keeps calling me," Mitch sighs.
     "You can go Mitch," Kirstie briefly looks away from the door, "Avi's here so you go if you need to. He'll call you later," she looks across at me, then back to Mitch until she's looking back at the door.
      "If you're sure," he says slowly, standing up. I could tell he didn't want to leave Kirstie, I wouldn't want to either, not with her in this state.
      "Yes go! I don't want you to get fired, I'll be okay, and we'll let you know about... Marcia," her voice hitches and it only makes Mitch hesitate further.
      "It's fine, I got this," I tell him as calmly as I can manage.
      "I'll see you tw- three later then," he quickly walks off.
      "She's okay right?"
       I turn to Kirstie, "Of course she is," I have no idea, but I know that's what you say to someone in a situation like this.
       "I just need to see her Avi," he sobs between words and it damn near breaks my heart.
      "And you will, yo-"
      "Ms Maldonado?"
      Kirstie springs from her seat, yanking me with her, "Yes."
      "You're Marcia's parents?"
      "Yes," Kirstie nods. Wait what?
      "She has had an allergic reaction, while it was pretty severe, although it actually happens a lot when babies are being introduced to solid foods. I'll take you through now."
Kirstie keeps a tight grip on my hand as the doctor leads us through to a room that had a few mothers and fathers with their babies in it, so why hadn't Kirstie been allowed to come in?
He leads over to where Marcia is playing on a mat with a nurse and some toys, she looked fine, maybe a little more red, oh I see, her right leg was covered in little red dots and I swear she is a little bigger now that I think about it.
      Kirstie immediately leans down and cuddles her baby girl in her arms, sitting on the ground with her, tears starting to slowly roll down her cheeks again.
      "So what is she allergic to then?" I ask, because Kirstie hadn't.
      "We're going to run a couple of tests to find out, but it'd be helpful if you could tell us what she's eaten differently today than she has before, even in the last couple of days because it can take a couple of times before it cause a reaction. Now that being said the reaction today was so severe that it was probably something brand new."
      "Banana," Kirstie answers immediately. "I've been giving her something new everyday for the past week, peaches and custard, apple and custard, banana and custard, we tried broccoli yesterday too but she didn't like that."
      "I'm not surprised," I mumble and I'm sure I see a smile play at the corners of her mouth. "So it wouldn't be all the custard then?" I ask.
      "Not likely, the rash is more of a fruit reaction, so it very well could be the banana. Easy enough to avoid in the future, but we'll still run a couple of tests to be sure," the doctor gives a warm smile before he leaves.
      I crouch down next to Kirstie and Marcia, the smaller turning to look at me and her small hand automatically going for the beard pull. "Nice to see you too Martian."
Kirstie snorts with laughter, "Martian?"
      "Absolutely," I smile, taking the little hand out of my beard and holding in mine, "She likes it, look at that smile." And on cue she starts laughing."
      "She laughs a lot more when you're around," Kirstie tells me quietly.
      "That's cause I look funny," I joke.
      She smiles and looks down, "Avi do you like me?"
      That took me by surprise, and I nod, "Yeah of course."
      "No," she puts Marca back on the mat, the nurse long gone and turns to me. "At the risk of sounding like a teenager, do you like me, like me?"
      "I knew what you meant, my answers still the same. I've always liked you but you've always been with someone else. I thought my opportunity was there after Matt but in the way I gave you time to get over him, you ended up bringing Jeremy in to meet us before I got my courage up. Just about broke my heart."
      "Well if we're being honest here, you just about broke my heart the first time you dated Jess, I had huge crush on you back then and I tried my best to get over it by dating Matt. You know it didn't work right? Especially since Matt cheated on me. If you had asked me out right then I would have said yes. You know what's funny though? Is that a lot of your appeal after I dated Matt was that I knew you'd never do something like he did."
      I look down with my eyes squeezed shut.
      "And I know you still wouldn't. So why did you?"
      "Because I really like you, this seemed like an opportunity for something between us to finally happen. I had been trying to break up with Jess since before I knew you were back in town. It just seems like that was when she finally got it, she finally knew that I didn't want to be with her anymore. She couldn't shrug that one off and tell me that I was just being silly and naive, that I didn't know what I really wanted. I do know what I want, I want you."
      "Avi," she has her hand over her mouth and I don't know whether she's happy or angry at what I've just said said.
      "Kirst, I was the person you wanted here today, with you,right?"
      She nods.
      "And I'm happy to be here with you, ready to cry when we didn't know what was wrong with Marcia, and smiling with you now that we know she's okay. I just want to be with you," I take her hands in mine.
      "I wanna be with you too... but promise you'll never cheat on me, I know you won't, but just please tell me that you won't," she rushes her words, almost as though I'll be mad at her for asking something so simple, I'm not mad at all. I'm so beyond happy that it hurts.
      "I promise I will never cheat on you," I say every word with emphasis and she breaks into another smile, with tears still streaming down her face, I even have a few rolling down mine.
      I think I'm finally going to be truly happy.

A/N: So what did ya think?? :)

Hannah.