chapter 5

"Can we get back to work please? I just want to get this done." Niall complained, slouching down in his desk chair, starring at Liam who was laying across his bed. 

"Okay, sorry. You read." 

Niall sighed, rolling his eyes and picking up his book. “Chapter six.” Niall cleared his throat, his eyebrows furrowing in a little more with focus. "About this time an ambitious young reporter from New York arrived one morning at Gatsby’s door and asked him if he had anything to say.

“Anything to say about what?” inquired Gatsby politely.

“Why — any statement to give out.”

It transpired after a confused five minutes that the man had heard Gatsby’s name around his office in a connection which he either wouldn’t reveal or didn’t fully understand. This was his day off and with laudable initiative he had hurried out “to see.”

It was a random shot, and yet the reporter’s instinct was right. Gatsby’s notoriety, spread about by the hundreds who had accepted his hospitality and so become authorities on his past, had increased all summer until he fell just short of being news. Contemporary legends such as the “underground pipe-line to Canada” attached themselves to him, and there was one persistent story that he didn’t live in a house at all, but in a boat that looked like a house and was moved secretly up and down the Long Island shore. Just why these inventions were a source of satisfaction to James Gatz of North Dakota, isn’t easy to say.”

"Wait a second." Liam interrupted him. Niall sighed, half out of annoyance, half out of delight he could stop reading words he barely understood. "Hey babe." Liam grinned, biting his lip as he brought his phone to his ear. 

He nodded his head a few times before adding, “Yeah, it might be a bit later though, I’m studying with Niall. Yeah, bye.” 

Liam hung up the phone, trying to stop from smiling as he looked up at Niall, “Sorry, you can continue.” He blushed.

"So you’re dating now, right?" Niall put the open book down in his lap, no intentions to continue reading. 

Liam shrugged, “Not really, no.” Niall gave him a questioning look. “I mean, I guess we kinda act like it. He holds my hand and we call each other babe and such be he hasn’t actually asked me out.”

"Right." Niall nodded, "Which brings up the question again; why don’t you ask him out?" 

"He’s dominate." Liam let out flatly. "It’d just make more sense." 

"So tell him that you want to be official." 

"You give a lot of advice, why don’t you take some yourself?" 

Niall sighed, “It’s a lot easier if you’re outgoing and attractive.” 

Liam put his hand over his chest, his face looking thoroughly impressed, “You’re saying I’m attractive. Thanks buddy!” Liam grinned making Niall roll his eyes, “We really should get going on this though.” 

Niall nodded, picking up his book and breathing heavily. Niall looked over the top of his book at the sound of Liam’s phone going off. Liam read the message, shutting off his phone and looking into his book again. 

"You know, you can go hang out with him if you want. I can finish up on my own." 

Liam looked up at him, his eyes wide, “Seriously? I mean are you sure, you weren’t too keen on doing this project in the first place.

"Yeah, it’s just two chapters. We can finish up the rest tomorrow." 

"You’re positive it’s fine?" Liam clarified, sitting up on the edge of Niall’s bed.