Chapter Fourteen

I stopped walking to shift the walkie-talkie, so I could read the map. Apparently, a trailhead started not too far from Logan's house. I scanned the tree line up ahead, and sure enough, saw the trail marker. After the earlier episode with Logan, I definitely needed a walk. A very long, long walk. Logan had a powerful vibe that rolled off him, consuming the air around him. I had to admit, I liked it a little too much for my own comfort.

I headed down the marked trail thinking about Logan. It was hard not to. He wasn't anything like Jonathan. Maybe the difference in their ages had something to do with it. Jonathan behaved so old school. He saw me as his possession instead of as his daughter. I knew this father-daughter concept was new to him, but it made me wonder if he would ever see me any other way. Logan on the other hand, was fun and easy going. He treated me like an equal. Still, I needed to keep my guard up. I just met the guy after all, and I didn't know exactly what his intentions were. Could I really trust him?

I continued down the dirt trail, wondering how long it would take Jonathan to find me. Scout said they'd searched for me his entire life, but that was back when they had no solid leads. I really hoped Scout wasn't hurt. Growing up with werewolves had made him tough, but he wasn't invincible. If those jerks hurt him, I would lay some serious damage on them. Maybe I'd let the pack shift, and hunt them down.

I frowned at that thought. I shouldn't dish out my own form of retribution. I should call the cops and have those guys arrested. That's what any sane person would do. Where were these ideas of street justice coming from?

I stopped to study the map again as the trail split in two. The lookout point that I wanted to see was only about another mile from this spot, so I continued left.

Stepping over branches and rocks, I couldn't believe how beautiful the forest looked. The crisp smell of the season change and the warmth of the sun made me smile. I could get used to this. Here. Did I really want Jonathan to find me? During the time I'd spent with him and the pack, I'd gotten used to their over protectiveness, but I still had a lot of unanswered questions. My trip back to Pennsylvania hadn't happened, but I still needed to get back there. My family were probably going crazy with worry, wondering what happened to me. Maybe I could leave from here. Then once Jonathan and the pack tracked me to Logan, I'd just have that much more of a head start on them. Tempting. Except I had no car.

The path finally opened up to a huge rocky lookout. I walked as close to the edge of the cliff as the safety fence would allow, breathing in the spectacular view of the surrounding mountains and forested valley's below.

The view reminded me of a postcard. In front of me, the sun shone down on a huge rock mountain that seemed to rise up higher than the stretchy white clouds. Below the mountain, forests went on for as far as the eye could see. The massive towering trees looked like patches of green from this height. Large birds soared and dived down into the space between. I'd never seen anything like it in all my life.

I don't know how long I stood there taking it in, completely lost in the beauty of nature, letting my previous thoughts of werewolves, hunters and Pennsylvania drift away.

"Beautiful, ain't it?"

Startled, I let out a little yip and spun around.

A burly man well over six feet tall stood beside me, staring out at the view. His unkempt, chestnut hair looked a few weeks past a haircut as it curled around the collar of his faded blue t-shirt. Dark sideburns grew into a full beard, accentuating his sharp nose and deep set green eyes. His skin had a golden, sun kissed glow. From the thick muscles that tugged against his t-shirt, he clearly spent a lot of time outside doing manual labor. He smelled like the sun and woods.