Chapter Sixteen

Placing my hands on my knees, I bent over and sucked in some much needed air. My pack must have been running so slow when we went hunting together, because Logan's pack was hauling it. I'd followed them through the trees for the last half hour, but then lost them somewhere a few miles back. Hearing the pack howling in the distance, I assumed they'd found their dinner.

I needed to take a break before I continued my blind search for them. I knew Logan would find me, eventually. I just hoped I didn't run across anyone else from his pack before then.

Looking around, I frowned. Not surprising, there weren't any, Werewolves This Way signs anywhere. At least the moon was nice and full. It was an iridescent night light, revealing enough of a glow that I didn't trip over anything.

Leaning against a nearby tree, I gazed up at the moon. I'd never fully appreciated its magnificence before. It glowed like a beacon, circling in its own orbit controlling the earth from its place in the universe. It had enough courage to reflect the burning sun and was powerful enough to control the oceans and werewolves too, apparently. The snapping of a twig breaking startled me out of my reverie and I tore my gaze from the sky to look around.

Logan stood a few feet away. He was stunning and terrifying, even the surrounding trees appeared to shy away from his imposing figure. The moonlight glistened off his naked skin. Highlighting the dark smears of dirt marking up his perfect body. He tongue slid out as he licked some of the dried blood off his lips. His eyes roamed over me—slowly—until finally connecting with mine. The gold ring burned bright, eliminating all color from them.

Without taking his eyes off me, he prowled closer. My eyes widened as the ferocious waves of power rolling off him made my stomach twirl.

I should have run.

But I didn't.

And then he was on me.

My breath caught, causing him to smirk—a dangerous, predatory twist of his lips. His top lip curled up, exposing long white fangs.

I sucked in an excited breath wondering why I wasn't more afraid. Logan like this should terrify me. But instead, I dug my hands into the bark forcing myself not to touch him. I had an overwhelming urge to rub up against him. I wanted my scent all over him.

Logan's strong hands gripped my waist, pushing me hard against the tree. He pressed in closer, forcing one of his knees between my wobbly legs. His gold eyes stayed trained on mine. My breath became ragged as I remained in his trance, unable to look away.

He licked his lips, as one hand slid up from my waist. My heart pounded as he reached my throat. Giving it a cautionary squeeze, he tilted my head to the side and exposed my neck to him. Leaning in, his sharp fangs grazed my throat before lifting to hover over my lips. Placing my hands on his chest, I told myself to push him away, but I held on, digging my nails into his hard flesh. His lips widened and his tongue slipped out to gentle lick my lower lip.

I gulped. While my heart pumped to the point of exertion, my brain screamed at me to do something. Anything. On some level I wanted this and on another, I wanted to resist it. Defiance and desire became overwhelmingly conflicting emotions. With my hands still on his chest, I pushed him away.

He took a half step back. Enough space that I was able to break eye contact. Released from his intense gaze, I made a motion to run. But as the ultimate hunter, he must have anticipated my move. Seizing my wrist, he secured me in place. Grabbing my other hand, he placed them both in one of his, before pinning them above my head against the tree.

He pushed his leg back in between mine and used his body to pin me to the tree before sliding his other hand back to my throat. He tilted his chin down, so out eyes met. "Careful. I like the chase."