◆ 3 ◆

"We apologize about the minor disturbance. Nothing to worry about, I'm sure it's all been handled. Thank you all very much for being here with the Evers family tonight, we truly appreciate this act of celebratory congrats. I am so proud to share this night with everyone." He spoke casually, carefully. Years and years of public speaking had refined the qualities of an enigmatic man, and he could charm a basket of snakes with just his words.

Everyone maneuvered to their seats, which had been placed five to a table arranged in select gatherings below the ballroom stage. A placard noted the name of each seater, in a circle around a vase of the best carnations money could buy. I made my way to the front, searching for my seat which I knew would be close to the stage, under the assumption that my mother and I would be called up to join my father sooner or later.

Seated directly in front of the stage in the middle was my mother, Beau Harrington, a man and woman I did not recognize, and an empty chair with my name on the card.

"Hello, darling." My mother whispered, patting the empty seat between her and Beau.

I sat, desperately attempting to avoid any form of contact with Beau until it was absolutely necessary.

"I'm sure you remember Mr. and Mrs. Stevenson?" My mother implored, politely motioning to the man and woman, who both reached across the table to shake my hand and exchange the allotted pleasantries. "Longtime friends of your father, absolutely delighted for being here with us tonight."

"Thank you very much for supporting my father, we are ever so grateful. It's lovely to meet you both, my father speaks very highly of you, Mr. Stevenson." I lied straight through my teeth, having no clue who they were. "Mrs. Stevenson, I adore your dress! Versace, am I correct?"

"Yes, thank you, Daphne! You are every bit as beautiful as they say." Mrs. Stevenson replied.

"Thank you for inviting us, Mrs. Evers. And lovely to meet you too, Daphne. I've known your father for many years. In fact, I think I may have been there at your 10th birthday party." Mr. Stevenson smiled kindly. "Mrs. Evers, you are very lucky to have such a sweet daughter and successful husband!"

"Words can't describe what a fortunate woman I am," said my mother. "And Daphne-" She turned to me, smiling pleasantly, but there was a tightness in her eyes that suggested I wasn't living up to my reputation as the human form of perfection. "-I haven't heard you greet our last guest yet."

"Oh." I turned to Beau, trying hard not to cringe. "Hello."

"Hello, Daphne." He gave me a smile that could melt ice.

Beau Harrington had a face that broke more hearts than one could count on both hands. His black hair was always carefully arranged, his blue eyes were always dancing from girl to girl, and a smile sharper than a knife with bright white teeth. He had two obsessions in the world: golf and girls. He played both very well.

He also had the personality of a self-entitled teaspoon. 

The Harringtons were a prestigious family from California with Ivy League-educated kids and a three mansions to their name. They were incredibly wealthy, perhaps even more so than us. Beau's father made his fortune through the stock market and his mother owned a line of designer shoes. And Beau himself was only son of the Harrington family, spoiled beyond belief and peppered with unfaltering love from both his parents and any girl who walked across his path. Conditioned by elite surroundings, it was no surprise Beau acted as he did, in his playboy ways and a billion dollar trust fund.

Our last interaction managed to make front page news, when Beau showed up drunk to a dinner party my mother was hosting. Boozed out of his mind, which didn't really affect any more of his personality when sober truthfully, he walked up to me in mid-conversation, grabbed me from behind, and planted a kiss that would put porn actors to shame. And I had momentarily forgotten to keep up my composed facade.