◆ 9 ◆

A few minutes later, we were back in the SUV. This ride wasn't the same. The menacing atmosphere that seemed to surround Caius Kennedy wherever he went like a raincloud emitted a feeling of ill-will into the interior of the car, enough to make me squirm in discomfort. There was no laughter or small talk going in now because everyone, including myself, seemed too intimidated by the presence of the ringleader to really crack any jokes about the weather or play thumb wars. The happy-go-lucky attitude of mine had quickly dissipated.

Caius was seated across from me, staring out the window. I diligently avoided looking at him, grateful that he appeared to be doing the same. Lee and Phoenix were beside me and Tommy across from them next to Caius, not looking very happy about the seating arrangement. The look on his face would've been amusing if we weren't all so scared out of our wits. 

I didn't ask where we were headed, and at this point, I didn't care. Was I concerned with the situation at hand, given the fact that Caius had yet to speak of my release? Yes. After all, this was just temporary. I belonged with my billionaire parents, in a world of wealth and gold, no matter how much I had so irrationally enjoyed being kidnapped. Was I about to break from the crushing wave of guilt for putting my parents through this? Of course. 

It seemed as though the feelings I should have been feeling as soon as the first explosion happened was finally surfacing. Before now, it had been all fun and games. The arrival of true danger really put things into perspective for me. 

But it was too late to concoct some dramatic escape plan. I'd have to make one later when the time was right because before, I thought Tommy, Lee, and Phoenix would just hand me over when things were all said and done...unfortunately, it was a new story now. Caius didn't seem like the type of kidnapper to just give me back to my parents without something in return, and not just the money. He was more the type to kill me and dump my body into the harbor. So yeah, I probably should have ran when I had the chance.

"I'm guessing the masks were an integral part of the plan." I broke the silence, unable to bear it any longer. My eyes met Caius's, who looked at me coldly. "I've had a sheltered life but I know a mistake when I see one. There's no way you'll let me go alive if you know there's even the smallest chance I would be able to give the cops a viable police sketch."

Caius considered me with lazy eyes, seemingly amused. "Hmm. And what conclusion have you come to with that information, Daphne?"

"You can ruin my home, you can take my father's money, you can pay off Beau Harrington to carry out your dirty deeds, but I'll go to hell before I let you dictate my life." Sweet as sugar, I smiled at Caius. I could see Tommy gawking at me from the corner of my eye, but I forced my attention to remain on Caius only. "The Harringtons will execute me themselves if I let slip the fact that Beau was involved with my abduction. It's made national news already, hasn't it? They'll all be wondering who did it. I'm not dumb enough to believe you'll let me go after all this. Heterochromatic eyes are a dead giveaway, after all."

"Such an intuitive mind." Caius stated quietly, no emotion whatsoever in his tone. Hadn't I been so used to hearing false compliments I would have lost it right there and then. He went back to staring out the window.

I grinded my teeth, seething mad. I would have to come at it another way.

"Tie me up, Caius." I growled. "I've gotten out of my restraints before, I'll do it again. My father doesn't need to come save me. I can do it myself-"

"-But that is considering you would even get the chance," Caius interrupted, now looking rather annoyed. A tiny wave of victory fluttered in my chest at the irked look in his eyes. "Remember, Daphne, you're not the one in control here anymore. I don't know what kind of impression you're under, but the incompetency from those idiots over there-" He glanced at Tommy, who immediately pretended to be fascinated by his fingernails. "-is no longer a factor in what you presumably believe is your advantage. Child's play, baby." The smile he gave me was purely angelic. "It's no longer a game. They won't hurt you, but I will."